General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I caught someone on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Default I caught someone on my bike

.... at my son's T-ball game this afternoon.

He was about 4 or 5 years old.... he had an aluminum bat in his hands. he stepped on my pipes to crawl up on my bike... wearing baseball cleets.

His mom quickly barked at him "Get down off of there"... then he and his mom quickly disappeared into the sea of little league-ers. I was on the other side of the parking lot having a cig (away from the kids)... so I only saw his backside.... they were gone before I could get there.

But.... had it been MY 4y/o son (along with an ***-whoopin), I would have at least told him that he knows better, that you don't crawl on other people's things, respect people's property, etc. Then I would have stayed, and explained what happened, and offered my son's services cleaning the pipe.... and payment for the pipe had he done any damage.... and of course.... my deepest apologies.

Of course, my son already knows better.... so this would have never happened in the first place.

This kid got caught.... but still didn't learn anything because mom never even so much as mentioned what he did wrong. Chances are... this kid will do it again. I wonder what it would take to get his mom to actually do her job as a parent and teach this kid to respect other people's property?

No damage.... a little spit.... the edge of my shirt... and I was able to get the pipe clean again... scared the crap out of me though... and kinda pissed me off.

Parents these days.... hmmmph

Last edited by ninefourteener; 04-23-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would be afraid he would:

1. burn the hell out of himself on hot pipes
2. knock the bike over on himself.

I might have been inclined to remind his parent that the bike weighs upwards of 800 lbs and would seriously injure her son if it fell on him.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I would have been pissed too but you do not know what happened between the mother and the kid after they left your view. The kid could have been disciplined about the matter when they got home.

How could they apologize when you were on the other side of parking lot?

Just be glad little leaguer's don't wear metal spikes!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I would be afraid he would:

1. burn the hell out of himself on hot pipes
2. knock the bike over on himself.

I might have been inclined to remind his parent that the bike weighs upwards of 800 lbs and would seriously injure her son if it fell on him.
Agreed.... the bike was cool, and he was on the rider's-right side of the bike.... so if he tipped it over, he would have been on top.

It was a gravel parking lot too... it could have happened.

I was close enough to "hear" the mother shout at him.... and I saw him on the bike. But by the time I got there... they both disappeared.

Last edited by ninefourteener; 04-23-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by kanelakos
I would have been pissed too but you do not know what happened between the mother and the kid after they left your view. The kid could have been disciplined about the matter when they got home.

How could they apologize when you were on the other side of parking lot?

Just be glad little leaguer's don't wear metal spikes!
I suppose you are right. Me personally, i would have looked around to see if the bike belonged to anyone. I also would have checked to see if there was any damage too. The mom did neither.... she just took off.

That is a positive way of looking at it though.... maybe the kid did get a stern disciplinary "talk". Hopefully.

Metal spikes..... uggg.... hurts just thinking about it - LOL

Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Sportrider79
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't get too mad at the kid, heck give him credit for finding your bike cool enough to climb on on the other hand luck would be he would drop the bike on himself and the parrents would of been on your *** for it happening. I learned from a very young age Respect other espscially your elders and don't touch someone elses bike. Had a neighbor kid come over and was checking out my bike as soon as I got back from a ride, lucky I was watching him because he damn near put his hand right on my pipe!! (remember they live right next door) I was very nice to the parrent and told him I don't care if he checks my bike out but I don't want him hurt, after I said my peace the father damn near slamed the door in my face. Sad to see parrents don't teach there kids manners anymore and they lead by example

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'd be a little pissed, but if there is no damage I would get over it pretty quick.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
ManicKernel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportrider79
Can't get too mad at the kid, heck give him credit for finding your bike cool enough to climb on
Yeah, really. Ain't that what it is all about? And WTF were you doing smoking around kids? Setting a very bad example.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno, I don't really intend this to be harsh, but I think you may want to rethink this one.
IMO, I think the kid just wanted to sit on a motorcycle (evidently he has good taste), and at 5 years old the child could hardly be expected to know better.
From what you say, it sounds like the mother got on him just as he was getting on the bike. 5 year olds do things pretty quick and the mom can't be expected to keep an eye 60 seconds of every minute - it just ain't gonna happen bud.
Do you really want the kid on a leash? Because that is about the only way ol mom is gonna know where the kid is at every moment. But here in realityi it just doesn't work that way.
I think a Harley sitting at a baseball field is just asking to get sat on by some random kid coming along. Frankly, I would be glad to see the little grom interested in bikes.
Reminds me of me when I was his age. I bet you see a little of that in yourself too if you look just a little bit.
I think if there was actual damage, you could/would have made more effort to keep an eye on, or find the family -and they would be liable for any damages - which there weren't.
Even with the very worst case and you can't find them, that is what insurance is for.
Sometimes I think some of us worry a little too much about our bikes. It is just a bike, yours is a nice one, but still, it is just a bike.
he is just a little kid, and mom got him off right away.

I guess you gotta vent if you gotta vent, but I think your audience was back there at the baseball field, and not here.
Just wrapped a little too tight, I think.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
saxfiend
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by saxfiend; 04-23-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: delete

Quick Reply: I caught someone on my bike