General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I caught someone on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

deleted - couldn't get what I wanted to say using my phone. I was to long.

Last edited by editbrain; 04-23-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by SloChicken
I dunno, I don't really intend this to be harsh, but I think you may want to rethink this one.
IMO, I think the kid just wanted to sit on a motorcycle (evidently he has good taste), and at 5 years old the child could hardly be expected to know better.
From what you say, it sounds like the mother got on him just as he was getting on the bike. 5 year olds do things pretty quick and the mom can't be expected to keep an eye 60 seconds of every minute - it just ain't gonna happen bud.
Do you really want the kid on a leash? Because that is about the only way ol mom is gonna know where the kid is at every moment. But here in realityi it just doesn't work that way.
I think a Harley sitting at a baseball field is just asking to get sat on by some random kid coming along. Frankly, I would be glad to see the little grom interested in bikes.
Reminds me of me when I was his age. I bet you see a little of that in yourself too if you look just a little bit.
I think if there was actual damage, you could/would have made more effort to keep an eye on, or find the family -and they would be liable for any damages - which there weren't.
Even with the very worst case and you can't find them, that is what insurance is for.
Sometimes I think some of us worry a little too much about our bikes. It is just a bike, yours is a nice one, but still, it is just a bike.
he is just a little kid, and mom got him off right away.

I guess you gotta vent if you gotta vent, but I think your audience was back there at the baseball field, and not here.
Just wrapped a little too tight, I think.
No offense taken friend. Admittedly, I am a little uptight about all my vehicles.... always have been. My 16y/o daughter and my 5 y/o son both know better - you don't touch other people's cars (or bikes)...... ever.

Funny story, when my daughter was about 8y/o... she was riding in a car with her Great g'ma (my grandmother). My g'ma gave her some Ritz crackers to eat in the car...... and my daughter asked for some napkins so she didn't make a mess..... she was taught well.

My g'ma just told her to eat the crackers.... and then yelled at me later for being too neurotic - LOL

This is my first Harley.... and I've only had it a couple weeks.

I'm not mad at the kid..... and there was no damage.... so I'm over it. I think I'm more mad at the mom because she didn't handle it the way I would have.

Last edited by ninefourteener; 04-23-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Bike was cool so no harm but my big worry with kids and stupid parents is the little screamers getting burnt then some bimbo wanting to sue because she was to stupid to keep the kid in check in the first place . Kids and a bike in public are mixed bag good and bad .

Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is hard to get annoyed at the curiosity of a 5 year old kid and still claim you are a man, we all were there once, what are you going to do, control doesn't and shouldn't exist as an absolute at that age, sure tell them off and instill a bit of fear but smile about it afterwards even if the bike gains a few scratches.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have a 5 year old kid and are not watching him/her every second you are an idiot. that is all it would take for some pedo to grab his *** and throw him in his car. i agree with the OP. dumb *** parenting. i would have tore her a new butt hole verbally at least. not about my bike but about how stupid of a mom she was.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 AM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left my bike at what may be the very same Tball field last week(YMCA?). I had just come from work, and I was in a hurry. Didn't know which field my family was at. I ended up parking about 100 yards from the diamond. I wasn't really worried about little kids- I was more worried about middle school kids messing with my bike. I figure even if your kid doesn't have too much sense, the parent ought to. I would be pretty shocked to see one of my kids messing with someone else's property.

And yeah, you should be concerned with children's safety. But I think there is a reasonable expectation that other folks will keep their kids safe, and that my property should be left alone- even at a ball field with little kids around.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,649 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Was the mom HOTT?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
It is hard to get annoyed at the curiosity of a 5 year old kid and still claim you are a man, we all were there once, what are you going to do, control doesn't and shouldn't exist as an absolute at that age, sure tell them off and instill a bit of fear but smile about it afterwards even if the bike gains a few scratches.
That's quite harsh skipper and in my opinion ridiculous. Name one person that is around a 5 year old enough that they wont get annoyed by them constantly getting into everything.

I know my dad would get annoyed at me and he was more of a man than most of us.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Was the mom HOTT?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I taught my grandsons about hot pipes real early in their life, prawbly 4 yrs old, the oldest one would stand in the driveway when someone pulled in and point to the pipes and say "hot".. didn't matter if it was a truck or a bike.. kinda funny when he did it but he knew not to touch, let alone climb on anything!

Quick Reply: I caught someone on my bike