General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you in the HOG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife and I are active in HOG, just like this board the Chapter will have some very nice people and some major dick wads and everything in between.

But I can say we have been on some great rides and met some very nice people.

We do short, long and multi day rides and safety is paramount.

Check out several Chapters because some a great and others are a bunch of clique a holes.

In answer to your question you wife would be an associate member.

If it works for you as it has done for me I am a life life national member. I rationalized that the discount from AT&T paid for that member ship over ten years.

Good Luck

Old 10-28-2012, 11:26 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a new rider,, bought a used bike and dealer paid for first year of national and local. I went to one meeting so far,, the group is a bit older,,, someone posted 45 to 65 and it would fit that crowd and me. I havent joined them on a ride,, plan too.. I dont see what is gay about it.. But I also have a helmit so im not trying to be as cool as some,, just here to ride and hope to have the group to help with advice... I hope you do your own thing about if you want to join or not.. one group I think could be different then the next as its the people who will make it happen.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:49 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
I think a couple of times I have passed through the local dealership on a Saturday and the HOG chapter had a fish fry, bbq'd burgers, or cooked a jambalaya for the general public. I'm sure the dealer had kicked in on some of the expenses, but regardless, it was a nice surprise and much appreciated. I have a buddy who's my age who is a member, and he confirmed that 99% of the members are much older than us. Nothing against older people, but other than riding bikes, we have zilch in commmon.
My Chapter is the opposite:99% young people,only very few are older guys(I'm in this group)!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I'll toss in my two cents, the local HOG is kinda a joke, dealer has never offered up any discounts for members. They host a lot of BBQ's and such but it always feels like they are trying to use it to push you into a new bike. The riding is always the same crap, lots of rules, I tend to ride tail, or sweep & like it that way. I ride a harley if I wanted to ride fast I would go back to my Busa.

Now to a great HOG chapter... Corpus had an amazing HOG Chapter but it has been years. I had a Buell at the time & still was treated with respect ( yup it can happen with a Buell). The food was ALWAYS FREE, there was never pushing a new bike sale. No one cared if the women had a membership & we rode every WHERE!

Every HOG is going to be different, but I will tell you give each one a few events, you will know quickly if its your deal.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 AM
modelflyered
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOG was Born out of Harley. HArley wants to sell bikes and retain harley buyers. They hired a company to help them do just that. The idea of having a place to "belong" then came into play. Keep it reasonable and give stuff away. Found this stuff out when i met the family of the man that basically "invented" the HOG program. BY the way the yearly Pin you get with your membership is based on the old Sunday School Attendance Pin you may have seen at church as a kid. Hog is what YOU make it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 AM
elbohead
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a membership in the national HOG with the purchase of my Deluxe last year and decided to join the local to see what it was all about. I gave it an honest try. Went to several meetings and rode with them one time. Simply stated, it's just not for me. Too cliquey for my liking. So when I traded my FLSTN for a new Road Glide last week, I got the free national membership, but will skip the local this time.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 AM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Is it just me or is this gentleman BITTER??!!

Originally Posted by dickey
You must be new to riding, otherwise you'ld know that joining "the" HOG is considered.....well, GAY by most of OUR standards. Along with Willie G skulls,"Live to Ride" covers, & Dynas. But that's just us!

To answer your question: No, I am definitely NOT in "the" HOG!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,940 Likes on 19,379 Posts

You must be new to riding, otherwise you'ld know that joining "the" HOG is considered.....well, GAY by most of OUR standards. Along with Willie G skulls,"Live to Ride" covers, & Dynas. But that's just us!

Well ... I' not new to riding .... been at it for over 45 years and been in 46 of the 50 states ... I don't wear all the "cool" biker garb ... and don't sport any tattoos or patches .... But ... I've belonged to HOG for over 20 years ... I joined for discounts on parts at the local dealer ... But ... I can honestly say I've NEVER had anyone call me gay to my face ... I'd remember that 'cuz ... Well ... They'd be picking their *** up off the floor ... I just had to put in my .02 cents worth ...

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Riding a Dyna is GAY ?

No wonder your user name is DICKEY, but it should just be shortened to DICK !

Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a member of National HOG not local. Have been for years. Saves me 17% on my cell phone bill every month.

Ratkiller

Quick Reply: Are you in the HOG?