General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you in the HOG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieg
I have a Dyna and my right ear used to be pierced. Oh my god.....I'm gay! (When I ride my Heritage I'm straight)
hahaha

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HDstreetHOG
Im aware you are able to get a membership for your Wife, But I wondered if I "needed" to buy her one, or if I could just get myself a membership.
To answer your question straight up, the answer depends on which events you're interested in attending. Many local chapters allow guests, provided that they sign a waiver for each ride. If that's what you want to do, you're probably fine with your membership. Some chapters have rules about how many events the same guest can attend before joining HOG. The safe approach for both national and local events is to get your wife an associate HOG membership.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm new to HOG and more so to the local chapter.
I've not made any meetings as the days off just don't line up.
I have been on several lunch rides with the "old guys" and so far have enjoyed all of the rides. I've met some really nice, and interesting riders this way.

Usually in the events I see they will say it is for the member and one guest.
I suppose the missus can be a guest?

The chapter's dealership seems to be pretty involved and very supportive. There is almost always something going on at the dealership on Saturdays. There are lots of things to do that are listed on the calendar too.

Check out the HOG link that a previous poster listed.
Try one (or more) to see if you like it.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a member, but I have never signed up my wife. I just put her as my guest to any events we go to. I can't speak for the local chapters because I'm not a member with them yet.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HDstreetHOG
.........Im aware you are able to get a membership for your Wife, But I wondered if I "needed" to buy her one, or if I could just get myself a membership. (and NO, Im not gay)
You can probually get by without the wife having a membership. Most events you can have a guest, some events you may have to pay a "fee" for guest attendance, and occasionally some events may be members only. As long as there is not limit.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined the Glendale, CA chapter of HOG as a friend of mine was a member. I enjoyed it. Sometimes I like riding with a group. Kinda like the sound. When I moved to the Denver area I rode my bike out here before I sold it and bought the membership that included the towing that someone else mentioned.
A forum member invited me to check out the local HOG and regretfully my bike wasn't done in time to go last week.
I've only been a member of the one chapter and I can relate to some of the comments on the old timers. Then again, I'm a little older than Dickey (and a musician, as well) but I still feel crazy and young. I did find myself sitting at a couple of the events thinking "Who are all these old geezers?" Kinda how I felt at my 40 year HS reunion last year. Tried not to get involved in the politics and there's enough people that you can find someone that you can make friends with.
Being as how I don't know any riders out here and I'm finally getting my bike tomorrow after tons of mods I look forward to attending the next one. I'm sure I'll discover some rides I might not have found on my own.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

There are more than 900,000 international HOG members. I just returned on Sunday from the HOT (Hog Officer Training) meeting in Pittsburgh. I am sure each of us have to evaluate for ourselves the value of belonging to any group.

Please contact your local dealer and have them put you in touch with the HOG chapter director. There are many benefits to belonging to HOG. Some belong only for a discount on products. Others enjoy the camaraderie that HOG offers.

Don't depend on Dickey for any accurate information especially regarding HOG. I have read his post for a couple of years now and I am amazed at how little he knows on most subjects. 40 minutes of experience isn't enough time to truly place a value on belonging to the group. Yes it is true that it is not for everyone. Try it and find out for yourself. Good Luck.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
ManicKernel
Cruiser

Hey, Dickey got a chick from Cartegena off Craigslist with that haircut.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I just joined a chapter a year or so ago after riding for over 15 years.
first, at least the chapter i joined, to be a member you must be a national hog member. I think you have to own a harley to be a national member. wives and GFs are always welcomed and encouraged to come to meetings. on rides, each chapter member can bring a guest who then would be significant other.
now, as to the "experience." I find it frustrating. It is nice to go on regional good riding roads that I never new about, but the down side is the lack of safety skills shown by many of the riders National hog requires the speed to be no more than 5 over the speed limit. this is good since otherwise there would be some very bad memories. Definitely slanted to "old school". However, there are some younger riders.
for $20 bucks a year it's worth a look. In fact join a couple since each has it's unique leadership which sets the tone.

your results may vary, past performance cannot predict future results.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Hawkeye1
Novice

In my area chapter there is a good mix of ages and skills. I've found the rides to actually be quite good and challenging. Seems to be a friendly bunch and a lot of activities.

Quick Reply: Are you in the HOG?