General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you in the HOG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm not in it, but have a couple of buddies who are. Once a year, there's a poker run & a really fun day at this dealership. It's sponsored by the HOG chapter. While these guys are out working a table to hand out cards, or cooking hot dogs or emptying the garbage cans, a few other buddies & I are having a great time at the event. Maybe it's fun for them. I'm glad somebody wants to do it. I'd rather be riding.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Different strokes for different folks
No shortage of RC, MC, Veterans groups in my area.
Never joined Hog, did not buy my bike from dealer.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My local HOG Chapters are either an hour-plus ride away (sod that after work on Thursday and riding for an hour just to get out of London) and appear to be made up of guys way older than me who all dress like pirates.

Yuk.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

That's it now HOG members are gay,

No, gay as is usually stated in this forum doesn't mean gay as in,well,GAY--it means Hokey;nerdy;not cool. But--if you like it--I'm happy for ya. A lot of people think a 58 year old man with a 70s teenage haircut ain't cool--and I'm just fine with that. As long as chicks dig it!

Believe it or not,Dickey actually was a member once;New York City chapter. Joined with my best buddie Joe, who bought his bike the same time as me. Remember our first meeting at the Buccaneer diner. Seemed like a nice buncha people. Well, we all pulled outta the parking lot to go on our first run (Bear Mountain, I think) As soon as the light turned green, it was like the traffic light was a dragstrip Christmas tree. Joe & I hadn't even gotten our bikes in gear, when the last taillight could barely be seen. I didn't buy my bike to ride like that. That was the beginning & the end of my HOG membership. About 40 minutes.

Last edited by dickey; 04-23-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,175 Likes on 6,713 Posts

Sign the title of your bike over to the chapter, turn out the OL, and go get me a beer.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

The dressing like "Pirates" as someone else said is kinda what turns me off to the local HOG groups. Nothing wrong with it really, it's just not for me. But the 10% discount keeps me in the local chapter and the towing insurance because I have spoke wheels (no emergency plugging possible) on the Heritage keeps me in the national HOG (My otherwise excellent insurance company doesn't offer towing/roadside assistance for motorcycles).

Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HEY whats wrong with DYNA'S dickey? lol

Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I belong to both the national as well as a local chapter. I work evenings so I don't get a lot of opportunity to participate. When I do get around the chapter I enjoy meeting the different people and levels of which they appear or don't appear as motorcyclists. Form your own opinions, pass on those who you don't care for and get on with life. Some people are into large group rides, some aren't. Myself, i don't care for large groups. We, meaning my wife and I, ride with a few close freinds and are basically independent. Give your local a chance, you may find some new freinds.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
That's it now HOG members are gay,

No, gay as is usually stated in this forum doesn't mean gay as in,well,GAY--it means Hokey;nerdy;not cool. But--if you like it--I'm happy for ya. A lot of people think a 58 year old man with a 70s teenage haircut ain't cool--and I'm just fine with that. As long as chicks dig it!

Believe it or not,Dickey actually was a member once;New York City chapter. Joined with my best buddie Joe, who bought his bike the same time as me. Remember our first meeting at the Buccaneer diner. Seemed like a nice buncha people. Well, we all pulled outta the parking lot to go on our first run (Bear Mountain, I think) As soon as the light turned green, it was like the traffic light was a dragstrip Christmas tree. Joe & I hadn't even gotten our bikes in gear, when the last taillight could barely be seen. I didn't buy my bike to ride like that. That was the beginning & the end of my HOG membership. About 40 minutes.
So you are saying you quit because you could not keep up with the old ladies on tri glides?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM
The Prophet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by HDstreetHOG
If I join, will my wife also have to join to go with me to the events?
We purchased a new RKC back in March of 2011. Went to two "HOG" events, and found both to be a WOT, got suckered into spending / contributing cash, and... of the overall event seemed to be of value only to the "click" group of local "HOG" administrators/officers. Otherwise... lame to the general "member".

Got one year free membership to HOG, and I think we paid a small $$$ for the wife to be a full member.

We're "neutral" right now, maybe 90% certain NOT to renew membership.

Why?

We don't see the benefits whatsoever. In our own case and locality, we see zero discounts offered on anything - trust me, we asked - and the "best Western" discount is readily available to ALL motorcyclists, not just HOG members, and not just HD members. Plus, it's not really a "discount" as if you use various booking methods (Expedia for example), AARP, etc., you can actually get a better deal. Plus, we like to stay at oddball, fun Motels/Hotels, Vs. packaged franchisee blandness.

HOG magazine is.... average(?), nothing to get over-excited about. IMO.

Maybe we are missing something, but it seems like yet another card to keep in the already bulging from too many cards wallet. If you are not an avid jacket or vest "patch" collector, there is little to offer as well.

What exactly ARE the benefits - monetary or otherwise - that would drive one to join? Again, maybe we've missed something, and we are 100% open to suggestions.

Note: We abhor "group" rides (Read: > 4 riders), as we believe the group rides, and resultant traffic disturbances, are extremely harmful to the overall Motorcycling Community "image". O.K., granted, they may raise money for charity, but the general public does NOT appreciate the traffic hold-ups, the noise, and no, nor the specticle...not all "group" rides are well managed and organised. IMHO, most are ...not.

That said... what else is there?

Bob

Last edited by The Prophet; 04-23-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Are you in the HOG?