General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose a pipe please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a propipe. Bar none the deepest,throaty sound I've ever heard. They are loud but not obnoxious and it's not a high pitch snap its a deep,bass type rumble. I compare the sound to thunder. Not the immediate crackling type,but the rolling deep far away in the distance type.
There is a thread on here where a guy did dyno runs on the same bike comparing fat cat to the pro pipe. Fat cat beat the propipe barely on total hp however the propipe beat tge fat cat by 15hp/tq from 2000-4500 rpm. The fat cat took over from 4500-6000.
I really don't think you can go wrong with either brand but the propipe beat the fat cat in the rpm range you actually ride the bike in.
The propipe just sounds like music to my ears. I compare it to angels in heaven playing their harps and brass. Jmo

Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Precision223
I went for a ride today and got a ticket for modifying my exhaust and making it too loud. I have a dyna super glide with cycle shack slip ons. I admit they are louder than I would like. I am looking to get a good 2 into 1 system. My question to everyone is if my cycle shacks are 10s on a loudness scale and stock exhaust a 1 where do these 2 into 1 exhausts fall. I have been looking at the pro pipe, supermeg and bassani. How loud are these compared to cycle shacks. I am ready to order now. What would you buy and why. Btw I am in the peoples republic of California. Thanks
Sorry you got the ticket. Wow...been up and down the Kalis roads and never got a ticket for modified. Like someone else asked, how? what brought you to the attention of LEO?

Hopefully folks here will be able to guide you to a good set of pipes. Think modified has a correction box plus a fine? You still have your original exhaust? if so put if back on to get the ticket signed and then go with a more mellow exhaust system.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Precision223
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Sorry you got the ticket. Wow...been up and down the Kalis roads and never got a ticket for modified. Like someone else asked, how? what brought you to the attention of LEO?

Hopefully folks here will be able to guide you to a good set of pipes. Think modified has a correction box plus a fine? You still have your original exhaust? if so put if back on to get the ticket signed and then go with a more mellow exhaust system.
I was in temecula. Lately they have been known for citing Harley's. I was not gunning it but I ride fairly aggressive. Meaning I accelerate faster than a car would. I have ridden next to cops before and never had a problem. To be fair the chp officer that pulled me over was a total deusche. Maybe he was having a bad day. Since I was already planning on putting on a 2 into 1 I would like one that is not too loud. These cycle shacks are just plain loud even at idle. I wanted louder than stock but these are a bit much around town. Also don't want to make a habit of switching pipes and getting tickets signed off.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:35 PM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I have a propipe. Bar none the deepest,throaty sound I've ever heard. They are loud but not obnoxious and it's not a high pitch snap its a deep,bass type rumble. I compare the sound to thunder. Not the immediate crackling type,but the rolling deep far away in the distance type.
There is a thread on here where a guy did dyno runs on the same bike comparing fat cat to the pro pipe. Fat cat beat the propipe barely on total hp however the propipe beat tge fat cat by 15hp/tq from 2000-4500 rpm. The fat cat took over from 4500-6000.
I really don't think you can go wrong with either brand but the propipe beat the fat cat in the rpm range you actually ride the bike in.
The propipe just sounds like music to my ears. I compare it to angels in heaven playing their harps and brass. Jmo
Yeah that was my thread. The Propipe destroyed the FatCat up to 3k. FatCat took over from 3-4.5k and it closed up again to redline.

As for the sound (this was main reason for changing to the PP from the FC), The Fatcat CANNOT be described as anything remotely resembling anything quiet. They are loud! On top of being loud, the ARE tinny and hollow sounding (think of Honda Civic w/fartcan muffler). Oh and lets not forget the decel cackle (think jake brake) that cops seem to like so well. Ever see those "No Engine Braking" signs? The Propipe is not quiet either but it's a lot deeper ,doesn't have a hollow sound , and no decel cackle. I changed my pipe solely for the sound but was rewarded with a **** ton more tq (and a couple of hp) in the low rpms. Like I've said before, I can tell where the PP is stronger and can't tell where it's weaker.
All that said, I would not recommend the Propipe for a Dyna application. They hang rather low and interfere with lean angle on right hand turns. Love it on my StreetGlide, like it on my SuperGlide but it just scrapes too much.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Precision223
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fella
Yeah that was my thread. The Propipe destroyed the FatCat up to 3k. FatCat took over from 3-4.5k and it closed up again to redline.

As for the sound (this was main reason for changing to the PP from the FC), The Fatcat CANNOT be described as anything remotely resembling anything quiet. They are loud! On top of being loud, the ARE tinny and hollow sounding (think of Honda Civic w/fartcan muffler). Oh and lets not forget the decel cackle (think jake brake) that cops seem to like so well. Ever see those "No Engine Braking" signs? The Propipe is not quiet either but it's a lot deeper ,doesn't have a hollow sound , and no decel cackle. I changed my pipe solely for the sound but was rewarded with a **** ton more tq (and a couple of hp) in the low rpms. Like I've said before, I can tell where the PP is stronger and can't tell where it's weaker.
All that said, I would not recommend the Propipe for a Dyna application. They hang rather low and interfere with lean angle on right hand turns. Love it on my StreetGlide, like it on my SuperGlide but it just scrapes too much.

Which model pro pipe do you have? I like the look of the chrome over the hs model but am worried it will discolor. Any thoughts?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 AM
fella
Road Master

Which model pro pipe do you have? I like the look of the chrome over the hs model but am worried it will discolor. Any thoughts?
Both of mine are the chrome. I have not had any problem with discoloration.

This is the pipe I'm considering. Normally I'm not a fan of upswept exhaust on most Harleys but I think this one not only looks good, it sound good. Plus it shouldn't interfere with the lean angle.
http://www.samsonusa.com/C2-321.html

Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fella
Both of mine are the chrome. I have not had any problem with discoloration.

This is the pipe I'm considering. Normally I'm not a fan of upswept exhaust on most Harleys but I think this one not only looks good, it sound good. Plus it shouldn't interfere with the lean angle.
http://www.samsonusa.com/C2-321.html
I have the PII which I think is mostly the same other than the length - never touched down, the pegs hit long before the pipe.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 AM
fella
Road Master

Originally Posted by p51bombay
I have the PII which I think is mostly the same other than the length - never touched down, the pegs hit long before the pipe.
How you like it? Are you running stock length shocks?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty happy with it, I chose if because it wasn't terribly loud and had the upsweep - the only real problem I ever have had was trying to fit passenger foot boards the T of the bracket would hit the pipe when the bike was jacked up but that was also a function of the longer than stock (air) shocks.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Help me choose a pipe please!
..... glass ones break
... metal ones can burn yer fingers if ya grab'm wrong
..... wood ones just plain burn.
......... does that help ?

Quick Reply: Help me choose a pipe please!