General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pak on a Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tour pak on a Heritage?

I have been thinking about trading in the Heritage for a Ultra. Mainly to have the extra storage. Problem is... I love my bike. I got to wondering if there is a tour pak type set up I can get (and get re-done to match the rest of the leather) Any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
Morish (11-03-2021)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:54 PM
teflon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is a tour pak for softy's you can get either a two up mount or solo type. They are leather. Teflon

Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts
Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Mine is a 1996 and HD does not list any tour paks for that year.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 PM
lumpy1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem recently. Still like my 99 RK but always wanted an Ultra. A few years ago I had to transfer for my job. When i wasnt home i missed that old RK, so i brought her with me for company. Then when I went home on weekends I missed riding too. Finally this year I went and bought a 2012 limited. HOLY CRAP what a sweet ride! Im keeping them seperated so they dont find out about each other. One in each garage... saaweeeet !! You can have it both ways. Hell yea !

Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by walkerinin
Thanks for the replies. Mine is a 1996 and HD does not list any tour paks for that year.
Damn, man. Why you would ever want to trade a beautiful bike like that in on a butt ugly Ultra is beyond me. Just for more storage? Try out a Saddleman bag on that back seat or rack.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:55 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

My wife has a '99 Heritage and I converted the winshield to detachable and installed the docking kit(s) on it that made it possible to have a detachable sissy bar OR the detachable leather tour pack (with studs).

Once you have the docking kit in place you can get the luggage rack for either solo or 2-up configurations.

To convert your '96 you will have to remove the special bolts that your saddlebag rails are mounted with and replace them regular bolts and locking nuts.
THis takes a bit of patience and measuring as the bolts have to be long enough to protrude the saddlebag bracket, fender support, docking mount and fender but not risk touching the rear tire.
You can adjust the length a (and clearance) a bit of these bolts using washers near the head of the bolts.

If you ride solo, this is a great set-up as the tour pack becomes your backrest. The luggage rack does allow a bit of adjustment as I remember but not much.

This ain't as cheap as using T-bags and bungee cords butit sure looks cool!
However, should you choose to get a new Heritage or RK you can just transfer the tour pack to it as my wife did when she got her another Heritage that is set-up just like the '99 except it's a different color.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,750 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Damn, man. Why you would ever want to trade a beautiful bike like that in on a butt ugly Ultra is beyond me. Just for more storage? Try out a Saddleman bag on that back seat or rack.
Same thoughts here. I ended up w/a Leather-Up large T-bag that IMHO looks like it belongs on a Heritage, and holds a ton of ***** when I trip 6-8 weeks at a time. I'm old school and still carry tools and tire repair stuff. Then there's the boat anchor chain and Uzi for security.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Poolguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I did. Bought a Saddleman tour bag. It was bigger than the rack on the back so I cut a piece of plexi-glass about an inch or so smaller than the bottom of the bag. Drilled some holes in it and zip-tied it to the rack. Put some velcro on it so the bag wouldn't slide around and velcro strapped it to the back rest. Looks like it belongs there. PLUS it will hold a case of long necks!!

Attached Thumbnails Tour pak on a Heritage?-saddlemen2.jpg   Tour pak on a Heritage?-saddlemen1.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out this pack. i am considering buying it . My local dealer has them i like the fact it can be locked on the bike and easy removal..

http://www.leatherpros.com/website1_006.htm

Quick Reply: Tour pak on a Heritage?