General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas mileage with the 103"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I run mid 40's on my limited with 103". I've also done a stage one with the same basic components as you. During break-in I ran a couple of tanks at the upper 30's, but wasn't long breaking the 40's.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just did 1000 miles with my nephew- he has a 2012 flhrc w/103 and got identical mileage to my 96- which was 47 mpg. Both have stage 1 mods.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Mid to high 30s mostly highway 5000 miles on 2012 limited stock except rush exhaust
Mazz

Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

I have two maps on my PV tuner. If I use my performance map I will get a little above 30 mpg (I ride pretty aggressive). If I use my economy map I will get about 40 mpg.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all.Hope mine improves

Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When on "E", Fill up.
When on "F" Don't effin worry.

When in between "F" & "E"...Ride.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by The Prophet
I figure, no decent LEO is going to ticket you for 10 MPH over.
I have seen plenty of people get tickets for 10 over. Usually 5-8 is the norm from what I know.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM
The Prophet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Fuel efficiency / MPG questions, and posted results are always wide open IMHO. It depends on a vast number of variables, like:
  • How aggressive you are with the throttle hand. Fast starts, jamming through the gears, etc. is loads of fun, but obviously doesn’t contribute to good fuel economy.
  • Weight – how much weight you are carrying effects how hard the motor must work, so lighter = better.
  • Solo or two up riding. Obviously solo is better for higher MPG.
  • Windshield (a well designed one!) or not. Your broad, wide chest is NOT aerodynamic, and creates a wind barrier to good aerodynamics.
  • Well designed Fairings help.
  • The main factor will be speed. Anything over 55 mph, and the rate of wind resistance that must be overcome quickly ramps up and doubles, triples, and so on. Otherwise known as CoF, or Coefficient of Friction. The faster you go, the more the engine must work to counter the wind resistance, and maintain that speed.
It’s interesting that many posters here list modifications / improvements such as freer flowing exhaust pipes, and freer flowing air intakes, yet the MPG numbers shown are less. This should NOT be the case, as they should be providing improved efficiency, therefore better MPG figures. My suspicion would be though that the improved performance translates into more aggressive riding experiences to “feel” the new improvement, which involves the first and last bullet points above, thus less MPG.

With reference to the 10 MPH over, etc.: I’ll admit 100% that that was poor advice, or a poor statement on an open Forum such as this. Better I guess to more Politically Correct state “Comply with the Speed Limit”.

But… (There is always a “but”), I would also have to say that the replies depend on where you live, etc. Around here (Northern Illinois) if one were to ride at the exact posted speed limit on a major highway, you would stand a very good chance of being run over, and you would definitely be creating a traffic hiccup. I guess you could stay in the far right lane, but even there would be risky. I try always to remain as with the general traffic speed, not riding dangerously, weaving through lanes, or “speeding” recklessly, but maintaining a safe presence within the flow. I personally wouldn’t recommend someone be stubborn and only ride at the exact posted limits. At least not around here! Ideally, and idealistically, maybe, but the actual realities of modern interstate riding dictate extreme defensive riding, and not allowing oneself to become a “target” , or an obstacle by riding conspicuously slower than the traffic flow and speed. 75 MPH on the interstates here would be slightly slower than most!

Again, don’t speed, but watch yourself out there guys!

With reference to “decent” LEO’s. I meant the difference between an LEO dedicated to the concept of “Serve and Protect”, which we all admire and fully respect, and which requires a great deal of experience, tact, training, priorities and excellent judgment. This Vs. a predatory LEO, only out to raise revenue for his/her town, and not exactly prioritizing time nor effort, not necessarily serving anyone, and obviously not “protecting” anyone.

So again, it all depends on where you live, the general flow of traffic and conditions, pedantic, or public servant oriented local constabulatory philosophies, and LEO manpower/priorities, and finally the financial strength or weakness of the local towns, etc.

Probably the most PC thing to have said is “Never exceed the posted speed limit.”

Bob

Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
bikemiser
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think you should expect to get less mileage with stage I

Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buggy
I get arond 45mpg on avg but have done better on longer rides
Exactly my thought with 8200 miles on the 103. Mileage per gallon has gotten increasingly better.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage with the 103"