General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Junior_co
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much vibration?

As a new Harley owner (2012 Wide Glide), I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it has too much vibration...

I expect it to have some, but how do you know if it is excessive?

She has ~700 miles on her and at an idle the handle bars shake some. While riding down the road everything in the mirrors is a blur... The engine really seems to smooth out around 3250rpms and above.

The mirror "blur" has always been that way but the amount of the handle bar shake, I'm not sure about... I don't know if that was there when I bought it and didn't think about it or if it's something that has come on slowly and finally gotten bad enough to finally stand out.

Is this normal? Do I need to look in to the motor mounts?

I tend to know how my vehicles behave, but that's only after I get a fell for them... And with the WG, I just haven't had that much time.

Thanks

Junior

Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior_co
As a new Harley owner (2012 Wide Glide), I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it has too much vibration...

I expect it to have some, but how do you know if it is excessive?

She has ~700 miles on her and at an idle the handle bars shake some. While riding down the road everything in the mirrors is a blur... The engine really seems to smooth out around 3250rpms and above.

The mirror "blur" has always been that way but the amount of the handle bar shake, I'm not sure about... I don't know if that was there when I bought it and didn't think about it or if it's something that has come on slowly and finally gotten bad enough to finally stand out.

Is this normal? Do I need to look in to the motor mounts?

I tend to know how my vehicles behave, but that's only after I get a fell for them... And with the WG, I just haven't had that much time.

Thanks

Junior
The new Wide Glide I rode at the local demo days was the same way. Shook at idle and shook harder off idle until you got up some speed. I wasn't impressed. I'm still trying to figure out how HD managed to increase the vibration on a bike with vibration isolating mounts that are supposed decrease vibration. I'm thinking smooth has been deleted from the Dyna family. Who knows maybe in the future they will solid mount the engine and add the B engine and call them regular tails.

Tech23

Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the 103 motor? I heard the 103 is more vibey in this model than the 96.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ride a 48 if you want to feel some vibrations, you will think that thing purrs like a kitten after that lol

Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Junior_co
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Is it the 103 motor? I heard the 103 is more vibey in this model than the 96.
Yea, it is the 103... Sorry, I didn't think to add that!

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
Ride a 48 if you want to feel some vibrations, you will think that thing purrs like a kitten after that lol
I'll have to give that a try sometime!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The Twin Can A motors are notorious shakers. Remember the 103 is a stroked and bored out TC88. Take it in at 1000 for your first service and let a tech ride it. I am pretty sure it is normal. My TC88 would shake the mirrors pretty good.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

2011 RKC with a 103 and about 7500 miles. It vibrates at idle, which is normal, but the vibration disappears once rolling--at all.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Frederick 2012
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2012 FB Lo has the same vibe your posting on. The mirrors are wrthless at any speed over 40 mph. I asked the dealer about it at my 1000 service, they said nothing wrong w the balncer. They suggested different mirrors, i've had there HD edge cut on since day one. No other vibe problems, just cant see **** out of mirrors while bike is moving.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

LOL New bikes are smooth. You should see mine at idle. The bars probably jump close to 1" and I love it.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

My 2012 WG shakes pretty good at idle but smooths out once you get going, wife says it vibrates just fine....

Al

Quick Reply: Too much vibration?