General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,981 Likes on 4,173 Posts

All a matter of taste. TC Harley's vibrate at idle.. Softail (Twin Cam Softails do not and its not because they are TC (twin cam)..they are TCb or have two counter balance spinning balance weights like most modern 4 cylinders engines. If it does not knock or bang vibration is normal. Some say more, some less but it is vibration. I had a Yamah V-Star 1100 custom, moved up to a 04 Road King , too big and it's vibration drove me crazy, mirrors were worthless..like my Softail, best of both worlds around town and that's all I need now and it's still a Harley..

Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an older Sporty before they added the rubber engine mounts and if you wanted to shake that thing would do it for you. New bikes are smooth as silk in comparison.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

My old 99 Softail Custom with an EVO solid mounted no vibe balancers is smooth up through 70 mph. It shakes a little when you get on it, but mirrors are always good. I still love the feel of this bike over all the others. I never did like the idea of the motor thrashing around in the frame at idle on the rubber mounts. Can't see how that could be good for anything attached to the motor and frame, although it does seem to work ok. The pipes must be rubber mounted to the frame also.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,981 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederick 2012
My 2012 FB Lo has the same vibe your posting on. The mirrors are wrthless at any speed over 40 mph. I asked the dealer about it at my 1000 service, they said nothing wrong w the balncer. They suggested different mirrors, i've had there HD edge cut on since day one. No other vibe problems, just cant see **** out of mirrors while bike is moving.
Your post interest me since I really have not kept up with the tech on the newer softails but had noticed that the newer Softails do not state a B (balance chain motor) I was just looking a few months at all the new toys at the dealer when I needed a part and noticed this fact about the Softail. Ask the salesman and he stated the softails still had the b motors . Are you saying this is not true for the 103 Softail motor? that it is does not have the balance cams in it?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubber mounted pipes? balance cams? This is still a Harley forum right? Did I miss something?

Tech23

Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Bring it to my house I'll check it out for you. My motor smooths out around 3k or so as well. If I take one hand off the handlebars while cruising my mirror shakes. At idle the whole bike shakes.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
harleypr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a kick out of all the posts from people who ask why their Harley shakes and is it normal. Can you imagine a dealer saying try some new mirrors and see if that helps. Too funny. Harley's are old school technology and they will always vibrate unless you have a "B" motor like my Deluxe or go with the VRod.
For performance I have a Ducati Diavel because no matter how much money you put into an "A" motor it will never keep up or out handle this bike. I have always had more than one bike for this very reason. I love my Harley and the way it rides and looks. I love the Duck for what it can do. I have no interest in pumping money into my Harley when it will never be a performance machine.
The mileage tells the story, I have three times the mileage on my slow old fashioned Harley.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Junior_co
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't have thought anything about it at all (since it's a harley and I expect some of that) BUT after reading about motor mount issues on this forum, I wanted to get an idea of what is "normal"....

Thanks for all the replies... I think this is a "normal" bit of rumble but when I have the 1000 mile done, I'll have a guru check it out all the same....

After that, I'll be doing my own services... After all, that's why I bought a HD...

Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

If you want a shaker, jump on a solid mount Sportster. Once I rode an Evo Low Rider I was amazed how smooth and (relatively) vibration free it was, however that caused me to hit the rev limiter fairly quickly. IIRC all the Twin Cam Softails have the "B" engines, due to the solid mounting.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

they made them vibrate even more? awesome!

Quick Reply: Too much vibration?