General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbings glove owner, please read in

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012 | 11:51 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by p51bombay
On second thought I'm not sure that isn't a warranty issue - they were designed to run on the y harness as is at full power, how is leaving them sit there any different than wearing them on an all day ride? Suppose that happened while you were wearing them........then what?
They are not designed to be ran directly to the battery at full power. Riding can help dissipate the heat but not for a long time especially sitting still. I have the Temp controller and even when it's in the 30s I have to turn it down. Here is the warning out of my G3s manual;

"Gerbing's heated clothing MUST be used with a Gerbing's on/off switch or temp-controller. Failure to do so may cause burns, which could result in serious injuries."

So no warranty issue, just operator error.

Last edited by JaronB; 04-26-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2012 | 01:34 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

BEWARE! Gerbing'e refuses to handle G3 Gloves that only heat on one side.

I called them (Linda) today. I was told that even though the design is known to be defective; Gerbing's will not warranty the Gloves because they were manufactured defective. WTF?

By this pretzel logic; a Toaster that only heats one side of the bread is not defective . . . . if it was made that way. Huh?

Gerbing's current G3 Gloves ARE manufactured so that they heat both sides of the hand. In my opinion, just my 0.02 you understand, this is pretty much an in-your-face acknowledgement that they had/have a problem.

I requested that Gerbing's either replace the gloves that I bought last December (receipt in hand), with the current G3 Glove or refund my money . . . their choice. They refuse to do either.

For a company that has had such a stellar reputation (in the past) . . . in the age of the internet . . . this sort of nonsense seems extremely short sighted.

So with respect to Gerbing's, all I can say is: "Buyer Beware." Based on my experience today; they are definitely not all that they seem to have been. I will never buy another product from them, and I am now an active, highly motivated and very dissatisfied customer.

Old 04-27-2012 | 09:35 AM
128auto
|
Extreme HDF Member

Ridiculous! I've talked to the the lady, she said send them in, they will be more than happy to repair. If they are not repairable, they replace them, I think she BS me then. My gloves are 2 months old, hopefully it is the new design. I will be pissed if they don't replace them, I will sell all of them and get a different brand. I hate company stealing from people!

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
BEWARE! Gerbing'e refuses to handle G3 Gloves that only heat on one side.

I called them (Linda) today. I was told that even though the design is known to be defective; Gerbing's will not warranty the Gloves because they were manufactured defective. WTF?

By this pretzel logic; a Toaster that only heats one side of the bread is not defective . . . . if it was made that way. Huh?

Gerbing's current G3 Gloves ARE manufactured so that they heat both sides of the hand. In my opinion, just my 0.02 you understand, this is pretty much an in-your-face acknowledgement that they had/have a problem.

I requested that Gerbing's either replace the gloves that I bought last December (receipt in hand), with the current G3 Glove or refund my money . . . their choice. They refuse to do either.

For a company that has had such a stellar reputation (in the past) . . . in the age of the internet . . . this sort of nonsense seems extremely short sighted.

So with respect to Gerbing's, all I can say is: "Buyer Beware." Based on my experience today; they are definitely not all that they seem to have been. I will never buy another product from them, and I am now an active, highly motivated and very dissatisfied customer.

Old 05-09-2012 | 10:09 PM
128auto
|
Extreme HDF Member

Just an update, Gerbings called me a few days ago, they said my medium glove could be labelled wrong, they were large, I said REALLY? They sent me another pair of brand new medium gloves, I picked them up just now, guess what? No difference, today is 60f, I can't imagine when it gets colder. I am going to call them tomorrow, looking for either a refund or I will sell them on ebay. It really pisses me off.

Old 05-09-2012 | 10:12 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Maybe you should come and compare to mine - I don't recall ever having a problem, could work a ride into the deal.

Old 05-09-2012 | 10:29 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 128auto
Just an update, Gerbings called me a few days ago, they said my medium glove could be labelled wrong, they were large, I said REALLY? They sent me another pair of brand new medium gloves, I picked them up just now, guess what? No difference, today is 60f, I can't imagine when it gets colder. I am going to call them tomorrow, looking for either a refund or I will sell them on ebay. It really pisses me off.
Yup, this is how a company starts the slow slide of going out of business. It may be a glacial process, but it always happens sooner or later. I just put mine back in the original packaging and I'll eBay them next October. Or maybe I'll visit them in person when they come to the Los Angeles Motorcycle show around the November time frame . . . nothing like having a disgruntled customer at your display when you're trying to sell your stuff to the unwashed masses who up to that moment were not aware of the lack of customer support that this company practices.

Old 05-10-2012 | 12:16 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

As hot as my T5's get, I can't imagine your 2 pairs of G3's being like that.
Let me clarify - I'm not calling you a liar, just puzzled is all.

Old 05-10-2012 | 01:10 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
As hot as my T5's get, I can't imagine your 2 pairs of G3's being like that.
Let me clarify - I'm not calling you a liar, just puzzled is all.
If your T5's only heated one side of your hand . . . you'd have a complaint . . . Right? If the Toaster in your Kitchen only toasted one side of a slice of bread . . . you'd call that a defective Toaster wouldn't you?

These early G3's are the opposite of the problem with Heated Grips. With Heated Grips your palms are warm and the back of your hand freezes. With these early G3's the back of your hand is warm and your palm freezes. That Gerbings current version of G3's DOES heat both sides of the hand only serves to prove that they KNOW they had a problem . . . and they fixed it on the current version of the G3's. They didn't even drop the G3 line and replace it with a new name. The issue we're having with this company is that they are playing word games. Gerbings claims that the gloves are not "broken" because their defective design is functioning as designed . . . not-with-standing that the design is defective. (Now there's some pretzel logic for you!) They admit that the early G3 design is defective because the new version is designed to heat both sides of your hand. Duh!

BTW, we're not liars . . . we're just telling you what our experience is with the product and the reaction of the company when we have brought our concerns to their attention.

Old 05-10-2012 | 02:10 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Gerbings current version of G3's DOES heat both sides of the hand only serves to prove that they KNOW they had a problem . . . and they fixed it on the current version of the G3's.

BTW, we're not liars . . . we're just telling you what our experience is with the product and the reaction of the company when we have brought our concerns to their attention.
128 does indeed have the newer G3's (90 degree plug) and believes there's a problem as both pairs don't get toasty warm. And THAT is where my confusion came into play...

Old 05-10-2012 | 09:56 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 128auto
Maybe there's something wrong with your connection. Have you tried connecting directly without the controller, which should give you maximum power. The fuse shouldn't be an issue if you're getting heat at all, but you might want to change that out and confirm it's the right size as well.

Also, make sure the harness is solidly bolted to the battery terminals.

Quick Reply: Gerbings glove owner, please read in