General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbings glove owner, please read in

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012 | 11:50 PM
128auto
|
Extreme HDF Member

I have tested the gloves alone, no difference. I even swap the jacket and glove wires on my temp controller, no difference. As fas as I know the pants, insole and gloves are in the same circuit, the other 2 are good, only the gloves.

Originally Posted by ghira75
there was a post sometime ago about this, that the heated jacket feels very warm but not the gloves. I have the T5, gloves only, and rarely put them on on full power, but I don't usually ride below 30°-35° F. But yes, my hands would be very warm.
did you try the gloves only? I wander if the jacket draws too much power and the gloves don't heat up as they are supposed to. I suggest trying using them alone or jacket turned off. if that solves the problem then the gloves need to be hooked up separately....

Old 04-21-2012 | 11:53 PM
128auto
|
Extreme HDF Member

Well, let me tell you, the coldest part of my body is my hands, I can live without body heat but like to have toasty warm hands. It looks like I am not the only one, I will call them next week, spring is in the air, it's time to get it fix before I use it next cold day.

Originally Posted by barjbar
I have Warm Gear heated gloves and they would literally burn the skin on the back of my hand at full temp. Also I noticed that with the stock black heated grips of my EG on full temp, they will heat my gloves on the palm and the wiring of the gloves transfers the heat through out the gloves without having the gloves plugged in. I'm probably never going to hard wire my gloves again.

Old 04-22-2012 | 09:20 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

Let us know what Gerbing tells ya. Any chance someone you know close by has a pair of heated Gerbing you could try to see if yours are putting out subpar or perhaps just that your hands are very sensitive in the cold.

Old 04-22-2012 | 09:51 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Gerbings Hybrids are perfect. Outside temp and length of ride dictates whether I set them on high, medium, or low.

My older Gerbings (I don't recall the model) that plug into the bike required me purchasing the thermostat as they would get too hot without one.

Old 04-22-2012 | 10:03 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Got It Backwards

Originally Posted by cdestuck
The plugs on your gloves, is it a molded 90 degree angle? If not, call the place you bought them and tell them you want them replaced with the right angle plug. Gerbing had a batch made in China with only wires on the back, not the palms. These defective gloves have the straight plugs. If they give ya crap or dont know what your talking about, call Gerbing.
The gloves are all made to be "heat neutral" on your hands. They should be warm enough to not feel the cold but not to warm to overheat the hands. This is how they are made. Gerbings did recently change their supplier (new CHINESE supplier) for their gloves. Previous to the change their gloves were only heated on the palm side. The newer supply has heating elements both on the inside and outside. These gloves are identifiable by the right angle 90* plug on the harness. I had the older T5 gloves (inside heat only) and now I have the newer G3 gloves that have heating inside and out. I'm good to go till about the upper 20's. Gerbings DOES NOT consider their older gloves defective, but, does stand behind their product and would probably allow a trade in allowance. That is what I did!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 04-22-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2012 | 11:40 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

One problem that we may have overlooked is that Canadians use the centigrade scale, thus it is always much colder in Canada than the states.

Old 04-22-2012 | 01:11 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

I own the HD hybrid gloves and jacket liner as well as pants liner, all made by Gerbings. Using the dual controller, they all get warm, but the gloves get the hottest by far, and that is riding a FatBoy with no windshield, no heated grips, etc.

Old 04-22-2012 | 04:44 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

my T5 gloves are the same, jacket, pants and sock liners do get warmer - gloves get warm, just not like the jacket which you can get feeling like an electric blanky but that is the only piece of the puzzle you have independent control of - never had my hands (or anything else) get cold though. Call Gerbing though, if there is a problem they will help you fix it yourself (like my hot power block) or repair/replace as needed. What are you wearing those for anyway? I'm in summer gloves now.

Old 04-23-2012 | 09:29 AM
128auto
|
Extreme HDF Member

Of course it is too warm to wear the gloves now, I have to be prepare for cold, don't wanna send them out for repair when I need them. I only have the gloves for 2 months, still brand new. I already read their FAQ and found a cleaning tip for the connection, will try today. Thanks!

Originally Posted by p51bombay
my T5 gloves are the same, jacket, pants and sock liners do get warmer - gloves get warm, just not like the jacket which you can get feeling like an electric blanky but that is the only piece of the puzzle you have independent control of - never had my hands (or anything else) get cold though. Call Gerbing though, if there is a problem they will help you fix it yourself (like my hot power block) or repair/replace as needed. What are you wearing those for anyway? I'm in summer gloves now.

Old 04-23-2012 | 11:50 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

128auto, what temp did you ride in that you couldn't feel your hands toasty warm? last time I used them in 40/42° F I had them on full and they wear almost burning the hand. definitely warm. I wander if my T5 have a better insulation than the G3, but a friend with the G3 swears by them, toasty warm.
But you guys in Vancouver may have another definition of "cold" and maybe ride in much colder temp than I do. I remember a pic of yours riding and it was snow all around...

Quick Reply: Gerbings glove owner, please read in