General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do a test ride??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM
mike56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to do a test ride??

Have a bike for sale. FLHX. Big bike.
Getting plenty of calls for it.

How do you all handle test rides? Gut feeling? Don't want to end up being the dumbest guy in the room.
I'm not going to let just anyone drive off on my ride. Figure if they show up on a bike, I'll just go with them on theirs. Anyone that says no, I'll say so long to.

How do you guys handle it??

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you never know their experience/competency level. Hard to say what I would do.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I've seen other threads on this and have seen answers from some that say:
1. they let people test ride when people put money in your hand first.
2. no way, no how. and have still sold bikes that way
3. have no problem letting people test ride
4. wouldn't buy a bike if they couldn't test ride first
5. saw a news article about a guy that took a bike for a test ride and never came back.

I'm in the camp that wouldn't buy used without a test ride but also would have a tough time letting someone I didn't know take off on my bike if I was on the selling side. I would suggest that if you do let someone test ride, get their license number(while visibly looking at their license to make sure they are endorsed for motorcycles), name and such before they go. Maybe also a cash deposit in your hand of part or the whole asking price. Absolutely wouldn't let someone go if there is no insurance on the bike. Not that they have to put insurance on it first but would make sure you have insurance on it and also maybe talk with your insurance agent to make sure it is covered when someone else is riding it.

That's my .02 cents.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 04-17-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
I've seen other threads on this and have seen answers from some that say:
1. they let people test ride when people put money in your hand first.
2. no way, no how. and have still sold bikes that way
3. have no problem letting people test ride
4. wouldn't buy a bike if they couldn't test ride first
5. saw a news article about a guy that took a bike for a test ride and never came back.

I'm in the camp that wouldn't buy used without a test ride but also would have a tough time letting someone I didn't know take off on my bike if I was on the selling side. I would suggest that if you do let someone test ride, get their license number(while visibly looking at their license to make sure they are endorsed for motorcycles), name and such before they go. Maybe also a cash deposit in your hand of part or the whole asking price. Absolutely wouldn't let someone go if there is no insurance on the bike. Not that they have to put insurance on it first but would make sure you have insurance on it and also maybe talk with your insurance agent to make sure it is covered when someone else is riding it.

That's my .02 cents.
I would take their license and car keys. Deposit would not hurt.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Cash in hand. You can't buy the bike without it. By wrecking my bike you agree to pay the full asking price.... Sign here.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser

CASH IN MY HAND!!! if they crash it is theirs, a guy I know let someone test ride his bike, guy left, & a few minutes later called people waiting for him, he had wrecked, a mile or so down road, they told owner, they left & picked him up, & left the bike sitting there, when owner got the the scene all he had was a wrecked bike, everyone was gone, he didnt have tags, nor insurance. he had bought a new bike & didnt trade his old one in figuring he could make more money selling it to an individual, well he lost, as it was worth scrap.

my rat jap bike, I bought & owner let me test ride during sleet, & icy road conditions, but I had made arangements to test ride & buy that day, & it just was bad weather that day. it had running problems which we thought was carb related, & thats why I had to do a good test, & I guessed right & it was carb. but guy didnt ask for money until after I came back he figured I didnt drive 130 miles to kick the tires, plus it was only a little over $1,000, he could tell I was a rider, "biker" & figured I could handle myself. if he had refused to let me ride, I would have cussed him out & left & refused to buy.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I offer a full money back agreement if after they buy the bike they are dissatisfied with the bike on a 30 minute test ride. Seems more than fair to both parties. If they do damage, they are responsible.

I have absolutely no way to determine the riding capability of the buyer, but he should have some recourse if he determines something is wrong with the bike.

I also am willing to take the bike to the mechanic of his choice to check out the bike while I wait. (He pays for inspection)

Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Louderisbetter
Tourer

Get their license in hand and make sure there is not someone "waiting" in the vehicle they showed up in...like the drivers seat. Be very clear they operate it at THEIR PERIL if they eff it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0geG9i1N9M

Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
driv3rx
Road Captain

I have sold a few bikes,test drive is done by me,they can see it and hear it run ,change gears etc...they want to ride it cash in hand first no exceptions!Once they have seen it run hand over cash it belongs to them no matter what.anyone that won't agree to those terms,I won't waste my time.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No test rides. I'll demonstrate the bike, or even deliver it to a Harley dealer for an inspection. But I will not risk having someone total my bike, on my insurance.

Do a search--there are recent threads on this.

Quick Reply: How to do a test ride??