General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Late: After the Accident – Helmet Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
I am a NYS certified Accident Victim Extrication Technician and former EMT with my local fire Dept. All our EMT's and first responders are trained to remove helmets from motorcycle accident victims. If your not trained leave it on. The arriving med techs will be trained! Years ago there was a team of Doctors that gave away big bright yellow stickers for your helmet with the warning "Avoid paralysis and spinal injury: do not remove helmet if you are not trained to do so". I had these on my old helmets for years. Wish I could find them now for my new helmets.
Here ya go. Bunch of options

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+n...w=1366&bih=673

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great topic. The first reaction is to remove the helmet when someone stops to give aid.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM
busch
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went on a ride few years back bike went off road flipped with 2 riders we all stopped to help one guy found the girl laying on her back dropped down put his knees on both side of her head hands under her neck so not to let her move. It took about 35 mins before EMT got there she wanted up these guys would not let her move. All of us learn from this guy that day. Both riders recovered I agree do not move or remove any helmets

Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

It's funny that not all medical people know what to do as far as helmet removal is concerned. When my friend had his wreck, two nurses stopped to help. They couldn't decide if they should remove the helmet or leave it on. I said he's breathing, so leave it on until the ambulance comes. It was a toy helmet that didn't offer any protection anyway. He died 5 hours later.,,

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratt
Thanks for the link. I just ordered 4 sets for myself and to give away to a few close friends. For those more concerned with looking "cool" don't worry! I have a 40 year old friend who after an accident is confined to a wheel chair, paralized from the waist down. His wife and kids have moved out and filed for divorce and his house is now in forclosure but he looks cool in his chair. "Way cool...."

Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

When I was hit head on by a drunk driver and landed on my forehead fracturing my neck and cracking my Bell helmet I was knocked out. A motor officer was the first to the scene and he knew not to touch me. But he did use those ammonia smelling salts to wake me up. I sat up on the curb...pulled off my helmet and threw it at the guy who hit me. Then I stepped into the ambulance and went to the hospital where they misdiagnosed my broken neck as a sprain and sent me home 8 hours later with a foam collar on and a bottle of percosets.

10+ years later a radiologist giving me a chest xray noticed the calcium deposits on 2 of the bones in my neck.

I now believe that when God decides your number is up....you are dead and all the rest is bullshit.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Quick Reply: Too Late: After the Accident – Helmet Removal