General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2951869556.html

I came across this Ironhead on CL and was wondering if it was worth all the trouble and effort to turn this rusty and non running '69 Ironhead into something special? I guess I looked mostly because it's from the year I was born.

I'm a novice wrench. I once did a 883 to 1200 conversion a while back. But it was done with instructions I read off the web and not really because I had a true understanding. It took me quite a while and lots of cursing. I can do my own maintenance. But this seems to be on a whole new level. I wouldn't even know where to start. Hell, I have no idea how much of the bike is worth salvaging. Or where to get all the parts it might need to get it close to original condition.

I think the price is a bit high for it's condition but that's always negotiable. So what does everyone think? Is it worth doing for a novice? Or would I be in over my head? Or is this Ironhead beyond redemption? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

About $1500 to high price wise and a lot of money to be spent to get it back decent shape , the old mag sporties need a real mechanic and TLC to be faithful to you they are not a novice toy from my point of view . It's spring time everybody is wanting retirement money for everything bide your time and keep looking as prices get a little more real , you can find running shovels $4000 still and you'll be much happier .

Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I used to be like you as far as wrenching, but I rebuilt a 51 panhead, then a 72 superglide, then a 77 superglide, and then a 79 low rider...

with the web these days anything is possiblle!!! 3500 seems steep for a bike that doesn't run. Do they have the history on it? When did it run last?

If all it needs is a carb rebuild and gas cleaned, then sure it's worth it. Ebay is the best place to buy original harley bike parts. J&P makes Chinese replica parts, but they are cheap knockoffs.

One thing I learned when I got into it was the old bikes like that are best left original, even if original is dirty and rusty.

I quit rebuilding the old ones because of the time it took, and the return on the money was almost break even. but if gave me some skills and courage to do other stuff down the road. Like installing my own springer front forks on my night train..

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

its not not a basket, that would literally be a bike in pieces in a basket. it could easily be rebuilt, might only need paint, tires, carb clean and a tuneup.. do you know any info on the bike?does the engine turn over? compression? even if the engine needs rebuilt, it is a pretty simple project. i built a 69xlch chopper from a dozen boxes when i was 19, with very little Harley knowledge (plenty of jap cycle experience by then), and nothing but a clymer manual
the price is extremely high..in that condition it is worth $900-1500.. unless it is something special $3500 is high for a nice ironhead.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

I think I like the allure of having something from the year I was born. Also, I'd like to have a project and not just a ready-made classic. Well, sort of. I also don't want to start something that will frustrate me and be left incomplete.

I'd want to be as true to the factory original stock as possible. To me, that's more difficult to do than a total custom Ironhead with reproduction parts and an off-the-shelf frame. I know there are many here that can probably tear down a bike and rebuild it blindfolded. Not me. lol but it would be interesting to find a 1969 Ironhead that will challenge me but not make me want to smash it with a sledgehammer. lol

Let's not forget that I'm not made of money so saving money for parts would probably take time. But that's another story. lol

Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by j1mmy
its not not a basket, that would literally be a bike in pieces in a basket. it could easily be rebuilt, might only need paint, tires, carb clean and a tuneup.. do you know any info on the bike?does the engine turn over? compression? even if the engine needs rebuilt, it is a pretty simple project. i built a 69xlch chopper from a dozen boxes when i was 19, with very little Harley knowledge (plenty of jap cycle experience by then), and nothing but a clymer manual
the price is extremely high..in that condition it is worth $900-1500.. unless it is something special $3500 is high for a nice ironhead.
I have not contacted the seller so I have no idea. As for the condition? That's part of me being a novice. I can get to TDC, but beyond that, I'm not that adept. I can follow instructions fairly well. But that's not an understanding. Also, that means I'd have more difficulty troubleshooting and diagnosing issues that would be natrual to someone with more experience. But I sure as hell would want to try.

Maybe I just saw a 1969 and went a little loony? lol

I would guess if the pistons, crank, heads or cylinder walls are corroded that would make for a difficult project?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

you certainly wont be a novice after the rebuild, but i do agree with Twisted's comments. It's to pricey out of the gate.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a basket case to rebuild/restore. Be patient and the right one at the right price will come along. The universe has a funny way of working like that.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Baka, on top of the mystique of a bike from your birth year (and that was magical between me and that ol' '56 Pan!) if you take this bike as it is and make it the jewel you can see inside it, you'll no longer be the novice you scorn tonight.

but it's still too much money. The seller knows this, so tell him YOU know it, and be ready to walk away without regrets; it's not the only '69 in the world.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 AM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way too much for non-running. Even though the pre '72 0r '73 Iron Heads are more desirable, if the seller is firm on that price, he's looking for a sucker.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buddy wants way to much money for a not running Ironhead that looks so bad.
Shop around you should be able to find a much better fixer upper for less money ( I have seen bikes like this for less than 1800 dollars and they ran).
Remember these things are bottomless pits into which you will sink untold amounts of money and never be able to get it back!

Quick Reply: Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?