General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
To the OP...do not mean to jack your thread, but to answer baka1969....OEM nope...bettterthan OEM yes.

Off the top of my head....

Race Frame engineering (frames, made down under but none finer).

Andrews gears (trannys) or Baker (for a complete system)

S&S motors and components for them as well as factory stuff.

Truett and Osborn (flywheels and rods)

Lots of folks do not want to pay for quality so go to cheapo-cheapo productions for $hit that is doomed to fail because it was produced by the lowest bidder and made by some poor bastard making slave wages. But I still believe that when it comes to quality you get what you pay for.
I didn't know S&S made IH engines or components for IH engines.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

those go thru swap meets here for 1K-1500. he's wants way too much

Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
The '81 Ironhead is nice but is quite a bit different than the '69 Ironhead. Do you have pics?
Yes, at my office I will post later if it is still for sale. It is not a 69, still an IH but IMO the later the better.

As I understand, you want a stock bike, a resto. In that case you will not be changing frame or modding the motor much, you can source every nut and bolt. Some great sites and people will help you along the way. Start here.

I am not an expert, but I have rebuilt 4 or 5 IH sportsters, from hardcore chops to vintage restoration. I would not ride far from home, I have other bikes for that, but for running around town they are fun and rare on the road today.

It will be a labor of love and a Hobby, not a money maker.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by randayn
Yes, at my office I will post later if it is still for sale. It is not a 69, still an IH but IMO the later the better.

As I understand, you want a stock bike, a resto. In that case you will not be changing frame or modding the motor much, you can source every nut and bolt. Some great sites and people will help you along the way. Start here.

I am not an expert, but I have rebuilt 4 or 5 IH sportsters, from hardcore chops to vintage restoration. I would not ride far from home, I have other bikes for that, but for running around town they are fun and rare on the road today.

It will be a labor of love and a Hobby, not a money maker.
I need more of a hobby. I don't have unlimited funds though. lol

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I prefer something more like a factory original than a custom job. Not to mention I can't weld nor do I have the tools. lol

Got it... you already have a kick *** kickass sporty though!. You should see my first welds. It is one of the many things that let me know there is someone above watching out for me. Some of the frames I lashed together initially were pathetic, dangerous and tons of fun.

Makes life interesting when you are driving down the road always looking like you are in a deep turn on a dirt track. I learned how to knee drag because my frames were so lopsided. I had to tie one of my OLs cooking pans to my knee every time I went out

We learned how to microwave all sorts of stuff

Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
About $1500 to high price wise and a lot of money to be spent to get it back decent shape ,...
And if you want a sportster for a project, you can find running sportsters ready to ride for less than $3,500, even at dealerships.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Got it... you already have a kick *** kickass sporty though!. You should see my first welds. It is one of the many things that let me know there is someone above watching out for me. Some of the frames I lashed together initially were pathetic, dangerous and tons of fun.
At least you probably lnow the difference between TIG and MIG. lol. Not me.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have a friend who can come over when you get stuck I wouldnt recommend by a basket case. Forums are great but theres no substitute for having someones help for a first time build.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most others here. For $3500, you should be able to pickup a good running used bike. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for the Ironhead.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

I'll be looking for something else. Not that bike from CL. The seller never did get back to me. A project bike that needs work but not a total rebuild would probably be the best to start with. If I find anything I'll post it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?