Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Amish gone bad
Not running doesn't say much. It could be anything from battery to the engine basically being welded into a solid block. I would want to know more.

IMHO the old service manuals were a lot better than today on helping you fix your scoot. You also got books like "How to Repair and Maintain American V-Twin Motorcycles" by Sara Liberte. So basically don't be too afraid. But don't be unrealistic either. Chances of your first try coming out perfect and amazing the crowds is - pretty much nil.
Another big issue is how hard it will be to find OEM parts? I really don't want cheap foreign reproductions.

I used to collect new and vintage mechanical watches. Finding a 50, 80 or 100 year old NOS watch is a treasure. I'd feel the same way here. If I can find an old Iron that needs work and fix it up to look like it just rolled off the factory floor, to me, that's a treasure.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

That's where restoration will get big bucks fast on bikes nobody is making making oem stuff for the old ironheads and what's out there you really need to know what you doing with it's either wrong or worn out crap people are trying to hustle on suckers .

Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That's where restoration will get big bucks fast on bikes nobody is making making oem stuff for the old ironheads and what's out there you really need to know what you doing with it's either wrong or worn out crap people are trying to hustle on suckers .
I hear you. The question is, is there anyone in the US that makes high quality OEM copies? I'm mostly asking about engine/ drive components. I'n not as worried about whether I'm using something like an OEM seat or fork tube. OEM tins, though, seem like almost a must.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just noticed someone has a 69 XLH for sale on another forum. http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=96004

I also think $2,100 is a little high especially without many pics.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by kps_Shovel
just noticed someone has a 69 XLH for sale on another forum. http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=96004

I also think $2,100 is a little high especially without many pics.

It has aftermarket tins. But it doesn't seem to be all that bad of a project. The location may be an issue though.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Hell yes offer him way less, take your time buy a rigid rear end for it like what Fabricator Kevin makes and rebuild that.. Even if it takes you a bit of time you'll learn something and it will be yours when you are done.

My reasoning is Iron heads make CLASSIC chops like no other. If you don't go the restoration route (boring) shouldn't be too bad (says me not even looking too close)

Last edited by RoaringRigid; 04-16-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Hell yes offer him way less, take your time buy a rigid rear end for it like what Fabricator Kevin makes and rebuild that.. Even if it takes you a bit of time you'll learn something and it will be yours when you are done.

I prefer something more like a factory original than a custom job. Not to mention I can't weld nor do I have the tools. lol

Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a client that will sell his 81 xlch, one owner , bone stock ,16k miles, I know the bike and did a full detail and tune up a few years ago, burns a little oil. He is asking $2800. It is in south fla.

It may still be available, if you are interested. I sold my last 2 IH projects for $3500 and $4200. Stock and custom. Love the old sportys, check out all of the old biker movies, they rode IH mostly. Have fun, it is just a tinkertoy really, pretty simple.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by randayn
I have a client that will sell his 81 xlch, one owner , bone stock ,16k miles, I know the bike and did a full detail and tune up a few years ago, burns a little oil. He is asking $2800. It is in south fla.

It may still be available, if you are interested. I sold my last 2 IH projects for $3500 and $4200. Stock and custom. Love the old sportys, check out all of the old biker movies, they rode IH mostly. Have fun, it is just a tinkertoy really, pretty simple.

The '81 Ironhead is nice but is quite a bit different than the '69 Ironhead. Do you have pics?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,337 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I hear you. The question is, is there anyone in the US that makes high quality OEM copies? I'm mostly asking about engine/ drive components. I'n not as worried about whether I'm using something like an OEM seat or fork tube. OEM tins, though, seem like almost a must.
To the OP...do not mean to jack your thread, but to answer baka1969....OEM nope...bettterthan OEM yes.

Off the top of my head....

Race Frame engineering (frames, made down under but none finer).

Andrews gears (trannys) or Baker (for a complete system)

S&S motors and components for them as well as factory stuff.

Truett and Osborn (flywheels and rods)

Lots of folks do not want to pay for quality so go to cheapo-cheapo productions for $hit that is doomed to fail because it was produced by the lowest bidder and made by some poor bastard making slave wages. But I still believe that when it comes to quality you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?