Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 AM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the paint job and the sissybar. It would be a cool bike to get running and leave the patina as is. Serious, I do like the old used look, just wipe it off.

Cash offer $1900. could have it running for a couple hundred.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I could have bought a running 1 owner '99 for $3500.

I think way too much for the Jersey one plus how much more would you have to sink into it?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Call and trash his price a bit and make an offer. You have nothing to lose.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way overpriced, I knew there was a 69 sportster for sale locally, but after looking either it sold, or pwner pulled ad, however here are a few to tease you with. look at this 74 thats for sale locally to me, http://danville.craigslist.org/mcy/2882298029.html or this 78 http://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/2878074558.html or this 75 http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/2926274914.html

also on the one you found, no one mentioned it has a 74-77 front end with disc brakes, & as for the mag, it can be converted to later style, as I had a 69 that previous owner converted, had to have newer side cover, newer cams, & I think they had to weld something for the cable, also do you want to shift with right foot? or left foot? all sportsters before 1975 were right foot shifting, 75-76 were conversion years & left foot shifting, but some people used the parts to convert earlier bikes.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by kps_Shovel
Way overpriced, I knew there was a 69 sportster for sale locally, but after looking either it sold, or pwner pulled ad, however here are a few to tease you with. look at this 74 thats for sale locally to me, http://danville.craigslist.org/mcy/2882298029.html or this 78 http://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/2878074558.html or this 75 http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/2926274914.html

also on the one you found, no one mentioned it has a 74-77 front end with disc brakes, & as for the mag, it can be converted to later style, as I had a 69 that previous owner converted, had to have newer side cover, newer cams, & I think they had to weld something for the cable, also do you want to shift with right foot? or left foot? all sportsters before 1975 were right foot shifting, 75-76 were conversion years & left foot shifting, but some people used the parts to convert earlier bikes.
After a few hours to regain my sanity, I can see where it could be a crazy idea. That said, I wouldn't mind an Ironhead that required some work but not something that would require much more knowledge than I have. If I can find one sort of in between the one I found and the above, it may be a fun project.

As for the right side shift? I would like a '69. More because it's my birth year than anything else. Either way, the seller hasn't replied to my info request yet. Thanks all

Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get it for the right price then go for it, it will be a pain in the *** but a lot of fun, the right hand shifter is no problem, my first bike had one and one of the bikes I have now has one as well, I switch back and forth without an issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Amish gone bad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not running doesn't say much. It could be anything from battery to the engine basically being welded into a solid block. I would want to know more.

IMHO the old service manuals were a lot better than today on helping you fix your scoot. You also got books like "How to Repair and Maintain American V-Twin Motorcycles" by Sara Liberte. So basically don't be too afraid. But don't be unrealistic either. Chances of your first try coming out perfect and amazing the crowds is - pretty much nil.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

Originally Posted by kps_Shovel

Yah it has been dicked around , this one wasn't gonna happen so I didn't do the details and I'm weak on sporties anyway . After a very short gig with a really bad tore up 63 chopper when I was young & dumb I won't let an ironhead in my garage anymore .

Baka buddy knowledge & confidence is something you pick as you go , just have to have a bit of common sense and knack for working with your hands . That and resources like this place and other good web sites not much can't be done anymore .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 04-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Yah it has been dicked around , this one wasn't gonna happen so I didn't do the details and I'm weak on sporties anyway . After a very short gig with a really bad tore up 63 chopper when I was young & dumb I won't let an ironhead in my garage anymore .

Baka buddy knowledge & confidence is something you pick as you go , just have to have a bit of common sense and knack for working with your hands . That and resources like this place and other good web sites not much can't be done anymore .
Yeah you're right. I'm not a master with my hands. What I am is methodical and want to do things right once I decide to do it. It might take me twice as long as others but, in the end, I'll make sure it's done properly.

The seller hasn't returned my email. So, I'll move on. I also have a soft spot for Sportsters. Since the mid to late 70's as I can remember. So if I were to pick up a project, it would be an Ironhead. I'll look for one that doesn't need a total tear down but maybe just needs enough work to make it fairly inexpensive and fun to do.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Yeah you're right. I'm not a master with my hands. What I am is methodical and want to do things right once I decide to do it. It might take me twice as long as others but, in the end, I'll make sure it's done properly.

The seller hasn't returned my email. So, I'll move on. I also have a soft spot for Sportsters. Since the mid to late 70's as I can remember. So if I were to pick up a project, it would be an Ironhead. I'll look for one that doesn't need a total tear down but maybe just needs enough work to make it fairly inexpensive and fun to do.
That right there will take you a long way to getting very good at things , hard to teach if it's not a natural talent . Good for you .

Quick Reply: Is this basketcase worth rejuvenating for a novice wrench like me?