General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gov. signs NO HELMET LAW bill in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pro choice. Good on Michigan.

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the ***** to live in the real world."

Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 PM
KozmoSoftail98
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Rain or not. I had to ride today without my helmet. Excellent. Thank you Governor Snyder.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Good for those that don't want to wear a helmet, bad for Michigan tax payers who will have to pick up the increased health care costs. Lots of stats showing increased fatalities and long term head injuries in states that have already done this.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0612162240.htm

"Pennsylvania motorcyclists suffered large increases in head injury deaths and hospitalizations in the two years following the repeal of its motorcycle helmet law, according to a University of Pittsburgh study. Even after accounting for increases in motorcycle registrations that occurred during this period, study authors noted a 32 percent increase in head injury deaths and a 42 percent increase in head injury-related hospitalizations, raising concerns about motorcyclists' safety and the impact of this trend on health care costs."
I was wondering when the first hand-wringing post would show up. Didn't take long. I would bet you'll see no increase in the amount of taxes you pay. Sell your bike and buy a Volvo station wagon with an NPR bumper sticker. Let those who ride decide....

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

There are similar stats for every state that has repealed the helmet law. The study was done by researchers at PEN state university, not an institution that had a stake in the outcome. Common sense says there are going to be more head injuries with fewer riders wearing helmets, what's so surprising about the results?
We don't know who paid PEN state through grants or other means to do research. I'm saying no matter who puts out the statistics, I don't blindly trust them. Just because it is written in black and white, doesn't mean it is accurate. Possible scenario I can see happening. "Hey PEN state, here is some money to do this research.....I would like you to put out the statistics on how many more motorcycle accident deaths are related to not wearing a helmet".....wink, wink.

Commen sense says there could be fewer accidents by not wearing helmets that restrict your peripheral vision, what so surprising about that?

Things to consider on those putting out the statistics....what factors did they look at? Are those numbers based on everyone who had a motorcycle accident?, just ones that involved head contact?, what did they compare their findings against? You can make numbers up and also prove your numbers based on how you move things around to make them fit. In other words, did they compare apples to apples, or apples to oranges?!?....can you prove it?

Not saying they do, not saying they don't. I can see it as a possibility so I'll stand by my original post.

Not trying to offend anyone but if you want to believe in statistics, that's fine with me. Some Sheeple, (sorry typo) *people get a warm feeling that other people are looking out for them and that is fine.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 04-16-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffs386
97.7% of all statistics are made up
Statistically, it's only 85.6%.

I live in Europe and will probably never set foot in Michigan. I still find the Helmet debate fascinating though.

I mean, think about helmets and then go run your head along a brick wall for 30ft. Think about helmets again.

And I'm curious to know something - how many of you that are anti-helmet have actually crashed your bike?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jeffs386
97.7% of all statistics are made up
Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter

I live in Europe and will probably never set foot in Michigan. I still find the Helmet debate fascinating though.

I mean, think about helmets and then go run your head along a brick wall for 30ft. Think about helmets again.

And I'm curious to know something - how many of you that are anti-helmet have actually crashed your bike?

I see what you did there....

I'm not necessarily "anti-helmet" I'm "anti-helmet-law" I want the choice. I have crashed bikes with and without helmets on. I've been fortunate to have not cracked my skull on any of the times I've dropped(4 times in 25 yrs). I do like your suggestion about the brick wall for 30 ft. but don't think I'll do that.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 04-16-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Those that have had a serious crash of any kind, without a helmet, will probably not be using a computer or posting here or anywhere.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I love the one who wear a helmet and then say stuff like...."you will die"

Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those that have had a serious crash of any kind, without a helmet, will probably not be using a computer or posting here or anywhere.
Depressing, but true.

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
I see what you did there....

I'm not necessarily "anti-helmet" I'm "anti-helmet-law" I want the choice. I have crashed bikes with and without helmets on. I've been fortunate to have not cracked my skull on any of the times I've dropped(4 times in 25 yrs). I do like your suggestion about the brick wall for 30 ft. but don't think I'll do that.
When I learned to ride, the Instructor spoke briefly about the importance of riding gear. He suggested we rub our forearms along a brick wall as we ran alongside it and then consider what that would be like at 70 mph. It's a compelling thought, I think.

Originally Posted by firecatguy
I love the one who wear a helmet and then say stuff like...."you will die"
I'm not saying anything of the sort. Even if we weren't required to wear a helmet over here, I would because I believe it's sensible to do so. I don't imagine that wearing a helmet makes me immune, just safer. I'm sure there are riders who've never worn one and it's never been an issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

When I learned to ride, the Instructor spoke briefly about the importance of riding gear. He suggested we rub our forearms along a brick wall as we ran alongside it and then consider what that would be like at 70 mph. It's a compelling thought, I think.
I get where you are coming from. You didn't actually have to physically do that though, right? I mean you could comprehend what that would feel like without actually doing it.

Same here, I completely understand the risk and can picture what my head would do scraping through the street at 70 mph. The thing is, I'm gambling that it won't. There is a risk/reward thing going on, with me anyway. I'm willing to take the risk for the reward of not wearing a helmet when I ride(when I get the chance). I rode without a helmet before we had a helmet law in Oregon. I really like the free feeling of the wind in my hair, not having something strapped to my head. For me, it is my preferred way to ride most times.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 04-16-2012 at 05:13 PM.