General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gov. signs NO HELMET LAW bill in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM
brunosrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Good for those that don't want to wear a helmet, bad for Michigan tax payers who will have to pick up the increased health care costs. Lots of stats showing increased fatalities and long term head injuries in states that have already done this.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0612162240.htm

"Pennsylvania motorcyclists suffered large increases in head injury deaths and hospitalizations in the two years following the repeal of its motorcycle helmet law, according to a University of Pittsburgh study. Even after accounting for increases in motorcycle registrations that occurred during this period, study authors noted a 32 percent increase in head injury deaths and a 42 percent increase in head injury-related hospitalizations, raising concerns about motorcyclists' safety and the impact of this trend on health care costs."
Arrive at your own conclusion, but I've learned to consider the possibility that . . . figures lie and liars figure.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,542 Likes on 5,081 Posts

Critics say the change will lead to more deaths.

Less people on the road

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for those that don't want to wear a helmet, bad for Michigan tax payers who will have to pick up the increased health care costs. Lots of stats showing increased fatalities and long term head injuries in states that have already done this.

"Pennsylvania motorcyclists suffered large increases in head injury deaths and hospitalizations in the two years following the repeal of its motorcycle helmet law, according to a University of Pittsburgh study. Even after accounting for increases in motorcycle registrations that occurred during this period, study authors noted a 32 percent increase in head injury deaths and a 42 percent increase in head injury-related hospitalizations, raising concerns about motorcyclists' safety and the impact of this trend on health care costs."

public burden theory has been de bunked so many time I can't believe anybody still buys into it. for every statistic proving one way , there is one proving the other...they are like politicians. bikers are insured pretty much end of story . you want to wear a lid thats great, but don't try to use stats to prove an invalid point.
I still believe in freedom to choose, bottom line is

CONGRATS MICHIGAN !!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Wanker
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm for the pro choice on the helmet issue too. If someone decides they don't want to wear a brain bucket, th en so be it.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
Good thing there aren't already two of these threads, maybe I'll make one too
I hardly ever come into this section but I already started a thread in the great lakes section. Whoops.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There are similar stats for every state that has repealed the helmet law. The study was done by researchers at PEN state university, not an institution that had a stake in the outcome. Common sense says there are going to be more head injuries with fewer riders wearing helmets, what's so surprising about the results?

I wouldn't trust a PEN state study. We all know what else they like to research there!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Don't forget to email a thank you to your governor.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

97.7% of all statistics are made up

Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations to anybody who rides in Michigan. It's all about choice. I choose not to wear a helmet, I choose to ride in a boat without a lifejacket on, I chose to let my children grow up without helmets and they survived. There are a myriad of things that could be made safer to some degree by mandating different laws but with each law comes a loss of freedom and choice. I choose choice!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Kudo's to the Governor for signing. Choice is one of the most basic freedoms we have.

Quick Reply: Gov. signs NO HELMET LAW bill in Michigan