Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michigan Helmet Law repealed..partially

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM
scooter49097
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add I'm a Leo here in Michigan. A Leo can't stop you for the mere fact that your not wearing a helmet to check and see your endorcent or if your under 21. Have to have a reason for the stop ie. Violation of the motor vehicle code. The law also states that the driver is not required to carry proof of the medical rider or proof he has had his endorcent for two years. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Safe riding guys

Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 PM
j14woods
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter49097
Just to add I'm a Leo here in Michigan. A Leo can't stop you for the mere fact that your not wearing a helmet to check and see your endorcent or if your under 21. Have to have a reason for the stop ie. Violation of the motor vehicle code. The law also states that the driver is not required to carry proof of the medical rider or proof he has had his endorcent for two years. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Safe riding guys

Thanks for the info

Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
ct555
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scooter49097

Safe riding guys
Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity where does the average Leo stand on this issue. Unoffically of course.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM
scooter49097
Advanced

Originally Posted by ct555
Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity where does the average Leo stand on this issue. Unoffically of course.
Well I can only speak for me. I have been in law enforcement for 23yrs. I am currently in the mobile crime lab and respond to alot of different crime scences as well as accident scenes. I have witnessed the aftermath of people who were wearing helmets as well of those who have not. Same for seat belts There are arguments I guess
on both sides about the pro's and con's of helmet use as well as seatbelt use.
My opinion is let the individual decide. We are all grown ups and are well aware of what helmets or seatbelts do or dont do. I have no problem if ya want to ride without one.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
The medical coverage is for all of the people who have no insurance and may end up with a debilitating head injury which $20k is a fart in the wind but satisfies the opposition. So, the ER people get paid. But anyone who has med coverage at work has at least $1MM in coverage. I know mine is $2.5MM lifetime. But the first guy who falls of and cracks his head to the tune of $250-300k will make the news so you can be sure the $20k will be amended. Since it is real easy to amend a law quietly. They will jump it up to $500k just watch.

Then all of the motorcycle lobbyists will have to go claim to the public that they shouldn't have to pay for high insurance coverage for a dangerous riding practice with which the general public will say...f**k you yes you do! we are not paying so you can ride without a helmet.

This law is a set up.
My question was as rhetorical as it was literal and goes unanswered. Do cagers in Michigan have a mandatory medical clause as well?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I wish/hope Oregon follows suit. I remember back in the day before Oregon had a helmet law. I sure miss those days.

Was nice to meet a cutie on the street and she could just hop on and go. I don't carry a spare helmet and people don't walk around with their own helmets. I'm married now so that part is out anyway but I would like to ride without a helmet when I want.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:57 PM
scooter49097
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
My question was as rhetorical as it was literal and goes unanswered. Do cagers in Michigan have a mandatory medical clause as well?
Only if your health insurance doesn't cover injuries sustained in a crash

Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's pretty common for regular health insurance to not cover accidents on a motorcycle, you people should check your policies to be safe. I bought some medical coverage for my bike's policy awhile ago, now it seems I lucked out and can go helmetless because of it, lol.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
tonka45
Cruiser

Governor repeals helmet law same day i get a full face helmet,,,,irony I guess....

Should be an individual choice anyway....

Might see a lot of helmets for sale in classiifieds!!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 AM
KozmoSoftail98
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Even with the extra crap, I'm happy. It has been a long hard fight which ABATE worked hard on. I'm not a member of Abate but I did email the governor about repealing it. I need to send a thank you.

Quick Reply: Michigan Helmet Law repealed..partially