Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michigan Helmet Law repealed..partially

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j14woods
How much did your rate go up?
about $10 a month

Out of state riders would have to live by the same rules, but how will LEO's know if you have the insurance or not unless you get pulled over or god forbid go down? My opinion is that the insurance clause was added to appease the insurance industry in this state

Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
j14woods
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
about $10 a month

Out of state riders would have to live by the same rules, but how will LEO's know if you have the insurance or not unless you get pulled over or god forbid go down? My opinion is that the insurance clause was added to appease the insurance industry in this state
**** $10 a month ain't bad

Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess it's a step in the right direction for Michigan but what a crock of $hit. Is there mandated minimum medical coverage for cagers in your state? If not your legislators and the folks that elected them should be ashamed.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
I guess it's a step in the right direction for Michigan but what a crock of $hit. Is there mandated minimum medical coverage for cagers in your state? If not your legislators and the folks that elected them should be ashamed.

We pay a mandatory amount for catastrophic fund in the state....it is slated to go up to $175 per vehicle...

Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

The required medical can be from a private plan or you may have it on your existing insurance on your bike. I have Blue Cross for work so I was able to opt out of the medical coverage on my my vehicles. But knowing how insurance companies always go above in beyond to help (noted sarcasm) I called and added medical on the HD. Costs me 89.00 a year.

If you called the Govenor to ask him to repeal the law take a minute and call to thank him. Not often a politition does exactly what he says he will. His number is 517-335-7858.

Ride Safe

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
j14woods
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MCSarge
The required medical can be from a private plan or you may have it on your existing insurance on your bike. I have Blue Cross for work so I was able to opt out of the medical coverage on my my vehicles. But knowing how insurance companies always go above in beyond to help (noted sarcasm) I called and added medical on the HD. Costs me 89.00 a year.

If you called the Govenor to ask him to repeal the law take a minute and call to thank him. Not often a politition does exactly what he says he will. His number is 517-335-7858.

Ride Safe
Good I have medical thru my wifes work, so I won't have to add it on the bike.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
We pay a mandatory amount for catastrophic fund in the state....it is slated to go up to $175 per vehicle...

Then why the $20K mandatory medical for motorcycles?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Fuwk An A Right!!!H58 here we come......

Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The medical coverage is for all of the people who have no insurance and may end up with a debilitating head injury which $20k is a fart in the wind but satisfies the opposition. So, the ER people get paid. But anyone who has med coverage at work has at least $1MM in coverage. I know mine is $2.5MM lifetime. But the first guy who falls of and cracks his head to the tune of $250-300k will make the news so you can be sure the $20k will be amended. Since it is real easy to amend a law quietly. They will jump it up to $500k just watch.

Then all of the motorcycle lobbyists will have to go claim to the public that they shouldn't have to pay for high insurance coverage for a dangerous riding practice with which the general public will say...f**k you yes you do! we are not paying so you can ride without a helmet.

This law is a set up.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 04-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 677 Posts

This is pretty standard these days, at least Florida did this over a decade ago. I can tell you from my experience in FL:

1. They really can't tell if you have coverage or not, I've not heard of anyone getting a ticket for not wearing a helmet and not getting coverage. They probably won't even ask.
2. Riders under 21 have a red lettering / white plate, so the police know immediately if they should be wearing a helmet. I would expect something similar for the under 21 and under 2 year stipulation in these laws here.
3. We've had plenty of crashes and fatalities without helmets, and the law hasn't been repealed, so I wouldn't worry too much there.

Quick Reply: Michigan Helmet Law repealed..partially