Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michigan Helmet Law repealed..partially

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM
smackdab
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What I'm saying is that is that it would be odd that BC/BS would issue you anything stating that they will cover you for the $20K medical portion required to go helmetless in Michigan. I personally know no one who's primary health care covers the $20K medical requirement. Generally speaking, it will need to be purchased from your motorcycle insurance provider. There is a lot of confusion among some now that feel that because they have health care from work, for example, that they do not need to add any medical coverage from their motorcycle insurance provider. This, in most cases, is false.

Each motorcycle insurance company in Michigan seems to be handling this freedom of choice thing differently. I strongly recommend that before anyone does anything, they look over their health care policy as well as their motorcycle policy. I know a couple of folks who've crashed over the years that have had zero issues getting their motorcycles fixed after a crash. They had motorcycle insurance that was right up to snuff. They thought they had medical insurance as well, and as it turns out they didn't. Again, each person needs to check into their own policy.

Again- just to be clear- if you have a BC/BS card in your pocket and think you'll be legal to ride w/o a helmet based on that alone, I think you'll find that to be incorrect. I just checked again this morning, in almost all cases the medical coverage to ride w/o a helmet has to be purchased from your motorcycle insurance carrier. I'd be delighted to find out that I'm wrong about this, but I don't think so....

Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Danuke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed

That it should be the rider's choice; however; I feel uncomfortable without my brain bucket. Then again, I always got seat belts in my cages when they were just an option ( and used them).
It seems that "the drivers" are much more aggressive these days. Short of not watching curves, it's the other guys ya gotta watch out for, and sometimes a bucket won't help in those instances, sometimes. It's like yer flying in enemy territory.
Now we are seeing cage drivers deliberately going after bikers in this part of Texas.