General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom audio compliments/regrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Boom audio compliments/regrets

Did a search here but did not find what I was looking for.

Thinking about getting the boom audio by Harley for my bike.

Was wondering if those here that got it ...

1) regret it and why
2) love it
3) got the handle bar speakers or windshield mount.
4) reverse the mounts on handlebar speakers so you can still use windshield bag?
5) Use it a lot at first but then just becomes an ornament. (why)

You get the idea. One thing I hate doing is spending money for something that ends up not being worth the cash.

Thanks

Kane

Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are for a Road Glide fairing but here is my deal....
I got them cause they have the integrated tweeter in the grille. and claim to be better than factory.
Then, after I got them, I ordered dennis kirk & JP catalog and see way more options with more "bang for my buck".
I like them still, however if I were to do it again, I would probably have gone with a set of speakers like hogs, or JM and get a small amp to give them some kick.
Again, I do still like them, just sayin....

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Might just be my ears, but I regret my Boom speakers. I intend to pull them and go back to Hogtunes. They sound tinny or something, hard to describe. I liked them at first but the more I listen the more I miss my Hogtunes. My Booms are obviously for a batwing fairing but I would imagine they all sound pretty much the same.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I went from stock to hogtunes to BOOM audio and Boom blows them both away. My hogtune speakers were a little bit better than stock, and Boom were significantly better than stock and hogtunes. I dont regret at all. I think Boom speakers was the most significant $100 upgrade Ive made to my glide so far.

Originally Posted by stro1965
Might just be my ears, but I regret my Boom speakers. I intend to pull them and go back to Hogtunes. They sound tinny or something, hard to describe. I liked them at first but the more I listen the more I miss my Hogtunes. My Booms are obviously for a batwing fairing but I would imagine they all sound pretty much the same.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM
HDRIDER2000
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just install boom amp and left my hogtune speakers installed , didn,t like the sound , ,i got the boom speakers as part of a winter upgrade package from my steeler , so i installed them , i like the boom speaker better , cleaner sound and better on highway ,also fairing system ,i would recommend them to my friends ,

Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

If I am not mistaken, you guys all have fairings.

I am looking for someone who has them on a bike without a fairing. The system mounts differently ( 2 options) and I am sure will sound differently than a bike with fairings.

Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the boom amp and speakers on my RG. I really like the setup and don't regret my decision. The stock speakers are horrible and the boom speakers are 100% better.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM
tbills66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the boom audio, but we installed the cycle sounds dock and rock on my dad's heritage and he listens to them all the time. They don't sound bad for a 2.5" speakers. It mounts to the handle bars. He can ride with or without the windshield.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
CB1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't speak for the Boom Audio handle bar set up , but I did have the cycle sounds with the 2.5" speakers set up on my Dyna and they were fine around town, but hit the highway and I couldn't hear them for crap. And that was behind a windshield and then a memphis shades batwing. The amp also failed after about a year. I never bothered with trying to get it replaced since I got into the market for a new bike and was leaning street glide at the time. The 3" speaker will sound better I'm sure. The Boom audio sounds pretty good inside the dealership. It will be better to use a iphone or good ipod with them. My little cycle sounds ones sounded better with the ipod classic than they did with my ipod shuffle. You may check this system out. There is a girl on here who has them and said good things about them. DCLiz I think. First system I've seen that mentioned decible level as apposed to just the watts. It's advertised at $289 and has FM tuner ans well as ipod and SD card input. I keep looking at it, but I am leaning towards a batwing fairing for my heritage instead. If you do pick one up post a review!

http://www.extremecycleradio.com/

Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Boom handlebar mounted speakers and I have no regrets in paying for them. Without my windshield depending on wind 65 mph is the cutoff before you lose clarity. With my windshield on I have ran 80 and could still hear it just fine and so could my passenger. I just got windshield bags over the winter and have yet to try my windshield with the bags, BUT with the adjustably I'd imagine it'll fit.
The downfall with the handlebar mounted speakers is you can feel the bass through the grips when you ride so until you get use to it, you feel like your front end is jacked up.
One thing to keep in mind though, I had the Boom magnetic tank bag and would use my ipod with the speakers. Well on really hot days, my iPod would freeze up and have problems until it cooled down. So, over the winter I bought an 8ft audio cable and ran the cable under my tank and seat and ran it into my saddlebag.

I got 20% off at my dealer, plus I had a $100 gift card to use up so I only paid $220 out of pocket for them and after having them, I would have gladly payed the full $400 for them.

Quick Reply: Boom audio compliments/regrets