General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom audio compliments/regrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM
mosendero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Boom HandleBar Speakers on my RK, mounted low on 16" apes.
My wife and I love them. I run them off my iPhone and behind a windshield with a windshield bag.
No regrets here.

MO

Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM
sctrooper
Intermediate

I will tell you right now that the boom audio windshield mount is probably some of the best money I have spent on my bike. I did alot of research and talked to and listened to some different riders set up and the boom audio kit blows all others away. It is easy to take detach it along with the windshield which is good because I usually only put the windshield on for longer rides. I have had my bike on the interstate running 90+ and can still hear it. The install is trickier then the dealer will tell you but it can be done. Bottom line I freaking love it.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Lots of good input.

I am leaning hard toward the Boom. Gonna check out the other options just to be thorough.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the upgraded Boom speakers in my Bat wing fairing on my 2010 Street Glide. No other audio mods and it made an incredible difference. Best bang for the buck out there to improve on an already decent system in my opinion. Asking this question here however will get you 1000 different answers. Best bet is to go listen to the different scenarios through friends dealers etc. And forget about You Tube and those sites. Only way to get an accurate assement is to hear them in person.

Last edited by Rickr01; 04-14-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
CB1
Tourer

Originally Posted by sctrooper
I will tell you right now that the boom audio windshield mount is probably some of the best money I have spent on my bike. I did alot of research and talked to and listened to some different riders set up and the boom audio kit blows all others away. It is easy to take detach it along with the windshield which is good because I usually only put the windshield on for longer rides. I have had my bike on the interstate running 90+ and can still hear it. The install is trickier then the dealer will tell you but it can be done. Bottom line I freaking love it.
hey trooper,

How about with a passenger, can they hear it doing 90? With helmet? If so full face, 3/4.

Also if you're a state trooper can I count on you getting me out of a speeding ticket if I'm ever in SC since you was doing 90+?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM
sctrooper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CB1
hey trooper,

How about with a passenger, can they hear it doing 90? With helmet? If so full face, 3/4.

Also if you're a state trooper can I count on you getting me out of a speeding ticket if I'm ever in SC since you was doing 90+?
Did I say 90+? I meant obeying all posted speed limits and I wear a half helmet

Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser

I just had the handlebar ones put on my deluxe. Like you I was looking for reviews for a while before I decided to part with the money. I keptt going back and forth and finally bit the bullet.

I went out today for the first time with them and here is my take. (for what it's worth) I tried them without the shield, could only hear music (every instrument) up to 40. 40 to 50 only voice and guitar (no bass or drums) over 50 wind noise basically drowned it out.

I put the shield on and the sound was much better. I could hear very clearly over 60. In fact I had to turn down a few times. (ipod was running at about 7/8 volume) I figured maxxing out volume on both speakers and ipod would put alot of stress on speakers, so I just keep the ipod at 7/8 and use speaker volume control.

As stated before you can feel the bass vibrate through the handlebars, but no biggie. It is nice to have volume control next to other controls on handlebars.

Regrets, none yet. Remember you'll be battling wind and pipe noise. Keep your expectations realistic and you'll be happy. It's not like sitting in your cage with the windows up cranking your tunes through 6 speakers.

Alan

Old 04-18-2012, 06:24 AM
BigDG
6th Gear

I'm in the same situation, looking for the right handlebar speakers for my '06 Heritage, but don't want to lose my windshield bag. I like and appreciate the review from DeluxeHog05. I've heard a lot of good about Boom Audio, but I'm also hearing that J&M are better. Personally I like the look of Boom handlebar mounts much better. I would tend to think that the windshield mount would sound better since they have a larger enclosure, but I don't want to lose my windshield bag and I don't know that the windshield mount will fit my '06 Heritage.

Any more feedback on this would be helpful.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
dave2800
Cruiser

I just installed the Boom Audio on my 06 Heritage and like BigDG I didn't want to loose my windshield bag. I had seen a post where someone had said they were able to make it work so I decided to try it. I had also seen where some people were having trouble understanding the wiring so I decided to take photos of my install and put a web page up showing how I installed mine. I hope it helps out. Here is the link http://www.cruisin-nites.com/Boom-audio/

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Boom audio compliments/regrets-speakers3.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
I went from stock to hogtunes to BOOM audio and Boom blows them both away. My hogtune speakers were a little bit better than stock, and Boom were significantly better than stock and hogtunes. I dont regret at all. I think Boom speakers was the most significant $100 upgrade Ive made to my glide so far.
Yup, same here.

Quick Reply: Boom audio compliments/regrets