General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tools do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:02 PM
natas638
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tools do I need?

I just purchased a '05 1200 Roadster, and I'm sure there are some things I need since it is my first "Street bike" Can you guys recommend the tools and accessories I'm going to need. Thanks, John

Old 07-29-2005, 03:46 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What tools do I need?

I have a soft fork bag where I carry a few tools which include a couple of crescent wrenches, a screwdriver with different head inserts, a set of allen wrenches, a set of torx wrenches, a small flashlight, electrical tape, a multi tool, extra fuses and bulbs and a few zip ties. Mostly it is just stuff that I can use to either tighten fasteners or tape/zip tie until I can get to the house.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:58 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

There are some companies that I have seen that will carry tool kits for various bikes all you have to do is tell them what bike that you have. I have been told that some of them are reasonably priced. I think that Windzone or something like that might have what you are looking for, unless you just want to make up a tool kit from some tools that you already have.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:37 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1, A tire gauge
#2. A tire gauge

Sears sells a nice tool kit for either Metric or American bikes. Lists for $99, goes on sell for $79. I went with this because I do stupid things. Like forgetting that a screwdriver was sitting on the pipes, going for a ride and coming back w/ a very melted handle. You could still read Craftsman on it though, so they replaced it for free. And all of the tools in the sears kit are Craftsman. Did I mention that it includes a tire gauge? The one thing I'd add would be a good quality small flash light.

Windzone makes a similar set w/ imported tools that is very nice and costs less.

Cruz tools makes a similar set, that is the high end and more expensive.
All of them come in a roll sack, but are pretty heavy and if you put them in a tool bag on your handlebars or front forks, they can put a nasty dent in your front fender.

Actually, heres what I consider to be the minimum essentials. You'll need an Allen Wrench set, a torx wrench set, a screwdriver w/ various phillips and slot head bits, a rag, a flashlight, a good pair of adjustable pliers (maybe 2...i small needle nosed and one larger, plastic ties and electrical tape. You;ll prob only never use it and won't carry much of it unless you're on a trip.
Then there are the big 3: Never leave home without them...
1. A Tire Gauge
2. A Cell Phone
3. Your HOG membership card.
Also a good idea to always ccarry a bottle of water for yourself. Even hot you can drink if it need be or pout it over your shirt to help cool you down.

Where you'll prob spend most of your money os on tools for use at home and everyone should have a motorcycle jack and a repair manual.
Just my $.02. BTW, you might want to check your tire pressure on a pretty regular basis. Art

Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: AceArt

, a rag, a flashlight,
Art, A rag? That's why I wear a black t-shirt.

Have a great weekend.

Pat

Old 07-30-2005, 02:26 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just ride close to a mac or snap on truck!! sorry couldnt resist