General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices dealers pay for t-shirts and parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RK Joy
I spent $20k on a bike and dealer GAVE me a shirt!!
I spent $20k on a shirt and dealer GAVE me a bike!!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oops

error post, delete sorry.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Lucero1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a shirt outside of the Daytona Harley dealer for $15. This was the same shirt that was marked $40 last year.

I find it hard to believe that they are taking a loss on that $15 shirt.

And, when I bought my bike the dealer gave me two shirts!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM
itsteeravfool
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
30% won't even open the doors. Anyone that's ever owned a business will tell you you need to mark up 125% at minimum to keep the doors open and show a livable profit. Bikes, parts, T-shirts - makes no difference. Overhead has to be covered and an owner should earn a respectable profit for his/her investment of time and money.
If you think parts are marked up 125% you're off your rocker.

Part# 58900-11 (Three pocket fairing pouch) dealer cost is $66.00
That part retails at $99.95.... you should be able to do this in your head. That is a 33% markup.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 PM
TimmH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the clothing is overpriced, it is the name your paying for. But in general clothing has a good markup because any unsold items at the end of a "season" goto clearance, then goto trash or donated.

So they estimate the number of units they plan to sell and markup to cover the cost of units they figure won't sell.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

Local dealer had a sale 2 weeks ago (it's a yearly sale) where shirts , long & short sleeve for $5.00, same for sweatshirts. Leather jackets for $100.00. We stock up for the whole year.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I worked for a manufacturer that made R/C cars. In the inventory database they recorded what a part cost to make. This cost included materials, packaging, labor to make the part, electricity, gas, rent on the building, and all other associated overhead. For a lexan plastic body and the decals that went with it total cost to manufacture was under $2.00.

That part would sell in a hobby shop for $27.00. First there was the markup we as a manufacturer would put on the part when we sold it to the distributor. Then the distributor would mark it up to make a profit when it sold it to the hobby shop. Then the hobby shop would mark it up to make a profit when it sold it to a customer. Usually the markup between what we sold the part to a distributor for and then what the part sold for on store shelves was about 100%. It just depended on how close to MSRP the part sold for. For parts and accessories, this was true but if you were buying a whole car kit the markup at the hobby shop may only be $5-$20. Kits sold far below MSRP. (A $995 MSRP kit may sell for $419-$450.)

So I HIGHLY doubt that, if the MoCo is selling directly to the dealers and not dealing with a distributor (in the U.S. at least...) that the mark-up on those shirts are extremely high.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
itsteeravfool
Advanced

Originally Posted by Robotech
I worked for a manufacturer that made R/C cars. In the inventory database they recorded what a part cost to make. This cost included materials, packaging, labor to make the part, electricity, gas, rent on the building, and all other associated overhead. For a lexan plastic body and the decals that went with it total cost to manufacture was under $2.00.

That part would sell in a hobby shop for $27.00. First there was the markup we as a manufacturer would put on the part when we sold it to the distributor. Then the distributor would mark it up to make a profit when it sold it to the hobby shop. Then the hobby shop would mark it up to make a profit when it sold it to a customer. Usually the markup between what we sold the part to a distributor for and then what the part sold for on store shelves was about 100%. It just depended on how close to MSRP the part sold for. For parts and accessories, this was true but if you were buying a whole car kit the markup at the hobby shop may only be $5-$20. Kits sold far below MSRP. (A $995 MSRP kit may sell for $419-$450.)

So I HIGHLY doubt that, if the MoCo is selling directly to the dealers and not dealing with a distributor (in the U.S. at least...) that the mark-up on those shirts are extremely high.
You are correct, the motorclothes margin is usually 40-50%

Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ex sister-in-law ownes a boutique that sells women's clothing and accessories. Many times the ex and I (married to the witch then) went shopping with her sister at the wholesale stores. She would pay only a few dollars for a woman's top (other items were a bit more) and sell that same top in her store for $30 - $50. Shoes - she'd pay maybe $10 to $15 a pair and sell them for $60 and up to $100, depending on the style. I went along because she would get me things I wanted (electronics, clothing, among other things) and let me have them for her price. I paid about $20 for a $125 computer speaker system through her.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by itsteeravfool
If you think parts are marked up 125% you're off your rocker.

Part# 58900-11 (Three pocket fairing pouch) dealer cost is $66.00
That part retails at $99.95.... you should be able to do this in your head. That is a 33% markup.
i bet you guys are trying to say the same thing......

if you look at the $66 dollar pouch, and price it at 125%, it becomes $82.50. however, your math is wrong.... 99.95-66.00=33.95, which is actually more than 50% over original cost......

Quick Reply: Prices dealers pay for t-shirts and parts?