General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices dealers pay for t-shirts and parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

That is why our brethren in Canada pay so much more. Moco sells it to Deeley Canada, Deeley marks it up to make a profit. Canadian Dealers then mark it up to sell to the consumer to make their profit. Here in the US, it goes right from the MOCO's distribution center (run by Caterpillar ironically) to the dealers. Deeley is a racket.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 AM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellotang
What difference would it make?
I used to be a manager of a bike shop. The price of goods sometimes only barely covers the overhead.
I don't mind paying the prices I see because I know.
I talked at length to one good dealer, the actual owner, aprox 12 years ago, & he had just opened the shop the month I was passing through, he suprised me, but the motor company told him pretty much what he had to carry, & he had to buy "Harley" display racks, which were extremely over priced, he quoted me prices, but I dont remember, but was ticked off to say the least, & was struggling, because of having to spend several hundred thousand dollars unexpected to satisfy Harley to carry all they made him carry. sad thing is his business was gone in a few years, I guess he didnt make it, but was one of few decent shops I been in, as most places treated me bad.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PNSHVL
I work at a stealership and I can tell there is one hell of a mark up on parts, helmets, shirts, etc. My employee discount is substantial and there still making a profit. I guess you can't blame for making money but give me a break. My last day working there is tomorrow, by my choice, so I could really give damn if this gets out.

Clothing is marked up a bit more than it should be. Parts are not mre than 30%.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RK Joy
I spent $20k on a bike and dealer GAVE me a shirt!!

I paid 26K and wasn't offered and refuse to pay over $30. for a t-shirt with a dealers name on it. I wear a competitors $10. clearance t-shirt.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

ever heard of 'triple key'?

in the jewelry business, an item is marked up 300%. so they buy something for $30, sell it for $90, and then discount it 50% and still sell it for $45 and still making a decent return.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley-Davidson, like every other enterprise, charges what the market will bear. If you don't like their prices, don't buy anything there. They are not obligated in any way to offer what you might consider 'fair' prices. If enough customers stopped buying their products, H-D would lower their prices as much as they could (or just fold the tent and go out of business). But the majority of their customers won't, and H-D won't. And all the daily whining on these forums will NOT change anything.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I sell T shirts for the fire department where I volunteer. I pay $6 a shirt and sell them for $10 for members and $15 for everyone else. Now if I took bigger quantity I could get them as low as $4 a shirt.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
When I was in retail my markup used to be 100%. I paid my rent, utilities, employees etc etc... and had a few dollars left over for myself at the end of the month after I'd paid all the bills.
+1 i saw my boss mark up parts 100% even for his family members.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kps_Shovel
I talked at length to one good dealer, the actual owner, aprox 12 years ago, & he had just opened the shop the month I was passing through, he suprised me, but the motor company told him pretty much what he had to carry, & he had to buy "Harley" display racks, which were extremely over priced, he quoted me prices, but I dont remember, but was ticked off to say the least, & was struggling, because of having to spend several hundred thousand dollars unexpected to satisfy Harley to carry all they made him carry. sad thing is his business was gone in a few years, I guess he didnt make it, but was one of few decent shops I been in, as most places treated me bad.

How sad.

I would guess that the biggest markup happens between Corperate HD and the dealer. Maybe as much as 1,000% markup.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger
Clothing is marked up a bit more than it should be. Parts are not mre than 30%.

30% won't even open the doors. Anyone that's ever owned a business will tell you you need to mark up 125% at minimum to keep the doors open and show a livable profit. Bikes, parts, T-shirts - makes no difference. Overhead has to be covered and an owner should earn a respectable profit for his/her investment of time and money.

Quick Reply: Prices dealers pay for t-shirts and parts?