General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got hit, insurance limits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I got hit, insurance limits?

Took a guy out I met in school on his first ride in the canyons, he lost control of the bike even though he was about 4 cars behind me in a very mellow straight stretch of road, his locked his brakes as I was slowing down to look at a split road and his bike skidded about 25 feet and knocked me right off.

Poor guy got his Honda cafe totaled, I'm talking bars flipped upside down, tank crushed, oil spilling all over, key broken in half, etc....

I got a bent bar, scratched custom paint (from Colormania contest), grinded down level, and other cosmetic damages (pipes, engine guard, tail light, saddle bag).

Took it into a dealership with a collision center this morning and I receive a call later that evening saying that my friend has very little coverage so it might not cover all the repairs on my motorcycle.

I was going to help the guy out with some cash after my bike was fixed, as how I was once helped by kinda people of this forum, but with the possibility that his insurance won't be paying everything due on my bike, that's going to be an issue now.

Also, they offered to loan me a car for the duration of repairs (estimated 10-12 weeks) but i opted to have a motorcycle for three days instead to ride to Laughlin. Turns out the rental costs is also going to be added towards the already minute limit that my friends's policy has plus I have to pay for insurance of my own.

Super frustrated right now, I was really looking to ride my all decked out bike to Laughlin but looks really slim that it's going to happen right now.

The guy has Geico and I have Progressive, anyone been in such a situation before? How did it end up working out and is there anything I can do to make sure my bike gets fixed up?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Do you have uninsured/underinsured coverage? Your ins company will not be in a big hurry to point out that this situation is exactly where you would use it.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just how much damage was there? Almost sounds like he had almost no liability at all. +1 on the uninsured coverage on your policy.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what happens in no fault insurance states, your insurance won't cover it?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
harlot
Road Captain

Man I am honestly not sure about that but I will go and check it out right now!! I always thought it was just for people who rode my harley and had no insurance. I might have had it since my gf rode it around the parking lot for a while when she got her MC license.

The assessors have no gotten to examining the bike.

But here's my rundown

1) Custom Paint, scratched back and front (don't understand how/why)
2) pipes scratched
3) left turn signal
4) front end/bars crooked handling
5) engine guard scratched
6) left mirror scratched
7) left saddlebag scratched (throwover
8) clutch level grinded

Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
harlot
Road Captain

I have 3k accessories coverage and also $500 deductible coverage on collision, but accident was wrong by him and fault was admitted. so I'm trying to claim from him and not my insurance. Don't wanna raise premiums for nothing.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Pretty sure your insurance will cover it then go after his company? No rate increase. I'm in Michigan which is a no fault state, my dad wrecked my bike, I claimed on my insurance, they got paid back by his, no rate increase for me

Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 AM
harlot
Road Captain

so this is weird, i just checked my older insurance policy, i just renewed my policy on the 3rd of April, so they havent sent me any card of update so far.

My old insurance policy said that i was insured for $15,000 on the underinsured coverage.

I then saw online that my underinsured/noninsured coverage was rejected on my current renewed policy.

So what I have now is

Coverage & Premium Information

2005 H-D

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY$68.00 BI $15,000 EACH PERSON - $30,000 EACH ACCIDENT PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $5,000 EACH ACCIDENT COMPREHENSIVE $500 DEDUCTIBLE$47.00 COLLISION $500 DEDUCTIBLE$124.00 ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000INCL UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST - REJECTED

Premium by Vehicle$239.00 Total Policy Premium$239.00

Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior

Should all be covered under your Collision and then they go after his insurance carrier. I think thats how it works....Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default to do

Good day
Make the claim under YOUR insurance policy. You have collision. Your carrier will then subrogate against his insurance company. Makes it much "cleaner" and that is how it should work. Don't worry to much about rate increases as motorcycle coverage is not a high profit area for carriers. Also, most cycle coverage is comparable and you could get another carrier somewhat easily.

Quick Reply: I got hit, insurance limits?