General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got hit, insurance limits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BS. The guy that hit you is responsible for paying all your damages, regardless of insurance limits. It is extremely doubtful that his insurance is insufficient to cover this type of accident.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your collision coverage, if you have it, will pay for your bikes repairs. Uninsured motorist is kind of a strange beast and not something you really need if you have health insurance. Check with your insurance company and don't be in a rush to add coverage that is superfluous.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok thank you all who have chimed in to advice and offer an opinion, including the concern of those that even PM-ed me to ask me to up my coverage.

I think it's all good stuff to consider.

But right now, I want to make sure I get my bike fully fixed up, including the weird spot on the front fender that was scratched to the metal (apparently shop said it might not be accident related, but I had just cleaned my bike the very afternoon and my paint was spotless!) Even I cannot understand how the front fender got scratched when I got hit in the rear.

I went to the doctor yesterday for a checkup, will be seeking inconvenience payout as well because I missed work.

As for underinsured coverage, I called my agent today but she didn't answer, so I'm going to see what she has to say since it's weird that my policy states it as rejected while my previous policy had it covered.

I also have full health insurance thru my university and accident injury that pays up to 200,000k.

But yeah, again main thing now is getting my bike fixed and all scratched/damaged parts repaired and replace for free.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
harlot
Road Captain

Just called progressive again, agent i spoke to ytd that said I might be subjected to the 5k limit now tells me it's all cool and progressive will first pay for my repairs and then claim from Geico, if they do not pay in full, my friend will be sued by progressive (not so good though). But it has a very low possibility of happening.

Also, underinsured and unIM is for bodily injury only.

They mentioned also to bring my helmet (small scratch) and jeans to get a price estimate.

So I guess it looks like everything is going to work out fine, except that Geico may not pay for my rental to Laughlin if they had to pay Prog too much money to fix the bike.

We'll see what happens, not so worried about that as compared to not having my bike fully repaired.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM
harlot
Road Captain

Thank you everyone! If anyone's interested I will keep updating this as I go along the process in hope someday down the road it will help others in the same situation.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
those who chimed in that his collision coverage will pay for his bike are mistaken. Collision covers repairs to your vehicle when you are at fault. Liability covers the other parties vehicle when you are at fault, and Comprehensive covers your vehicle when you don't know who is at fault.(burglary, vandalism for example)
And in Tennessee, Uninsured motorist covers when the person that hits me has no insurance. Makes no since to me why Cali would say that Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist is for medical stuff. It is for everything in TN. At least mine is with State Farm.

OP, glad to hear that it seems to be working out for you. Hope it continues to go smooth.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

those who chimed in that his collision coverage will pay for his bike are mistaken. Collision covers repairs to your vehicle when you are at fault. Liability covers the other parties vehicle when you are at fault, and Comprehensive covers your vehicle when you don't know who is at fault.(burglary, vandalism for example)

Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Progressive is a good company to deal with. When I went down a year and a half ago they took care of paying me for my bike (it was totaled but I bought it back) and then went after the person who was at fault and sent me a second check for the deductible once that went through. First check I got within 2 weeks...second probably came a week or two after the first. They were very fair about it too.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

uninsured/underinsured is exactly what it is called, if some one hits you and has no/low ins, the policy picks up to make things rite.. medical, and property..it is an insurance against some one else not having insurance.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Lots of insurance agent errors and omission claims here, be glad none of you are agents.
"Collision covers repairs to your vehicle when you are at fault" not true
"Uninsured/under insured liability only pays if you're seriously injured in the accident. It does not pay for property damage." Define seriously injured, any time I go to the hospital, I consider it serious, not a true statement. Also Uninsured Motorist coverage can include U/M bodily injury, Underinsured bodily injury, and U/M property damage.
Lots of misinformation in this thread, contact your own agent for the correct explanations.

Quick Reply: I got hit, insurance limits?