General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieTrying
Technically those striped end caps are usually no parking zones. Will anyone enforce that... probably not. If I'm riding by myself I take up the whole parking space.
Not necessarily true. Depends on where you park. They will and have ticketed any vehicle (includeing motorcycles) that are not parked in a legitimate parking spot where I work. We riders thought we were doing the cagers a favor by parking in these spots because parking is very limited and that would free up spots for cages. That was until they came around and started ticketing us for not parking in a legal parking spot. Because parking is so limited and vehicles continue to park in these end areas, they patrol our parking lot almost daily issuing tickets because they know they are going to find a minimum of 4 vehicles illegally parked.

(P.S. This is on an Army installation with MPs issuing federal tickets. Maybe they don't enforce that in the commercial sector; but, I can say they do in the Military...at least on my installation.)

Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 98XL1200C
The lines are painted that way for a reason. What don't you understand about NO PARKING.
What don't you understand about 65 mph on a speed limit sign when you're going faster than that?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Cheese Head, that's what we tried at that restaurant. Save some spots for the cagers, but when we were told to pay full fare anyway, we said screw it F**k them then and we all parked a single bike in each spot. There was no more room for anyone else.
You would think that someone with an once of brains could see that converting a few car spaces to a lot of bike spaces, there would be more room for customers coming to the store. I'm talking about shopping centers that have a lot of parking not a small strip mall.

If it's not hurting anything or anyone at all, why are some of you sooooo upset if a couple bikes park there and then have to resort to name calling?? It's not like hundreds of bikes are parking in every end zone in the mall. Sheesh.

I believe the mall owners can ban or allow end zone parking. With out the consent of them, I don't think the police can do anything since IT IS PRIVATE PROPERTY - other then handicap parking - which I believe is a federal law.

I use to do do it, but haven't in a long time. I saw no harm in it and didn't consider myself as special - I just wanted to get a place to park since most spots were already taken by the time I got there. Nothing more nothing less - no hidden agenda.

PS: in larger end zones, I've even seen small cars park in them.

The military does a lot of things civilians don't have to do - like wearing reflective vests on every base along with helmets and other restrictions.

May I suggest to all you end zone parking haters, get together and go to Washington and lobby for a federal law against parking in end zones. Then there will be no misunderstandings on the subject.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't wait for the next useless thread that we can all get our panties in a wad over.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NativeTexican
Who gave you a ticket? Police cant give you a ticket in private (wal-mart/super market) parking lot. (or atleast not in Texas)
It was strip mall parking lot.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM
CAJUNMUDDER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is hot 98% of the year in south Louisiana, so i just park wherever i can find a patch of shade big enough to cover where my a$$ will be when i get back on

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I can't wait for the next useless thread that we can all get our panties in a wad over.
Yea, all discussions that you have no interest in should just get ****-canned.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Yea, all discussions that you have no interest in should just get ****-canned.
Lighten up man, I was making a joke. Who said anything about closing the thread?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NativeTexican
When I took the MSC I was told you I was to only park in parking spots. I remember as a kid my dad always parked his motorcycle in the cross section at the end of parking spots. Does anyone still do this?

I have always figured that there is more than enough room to park two motorcycles in a normal parks spot but at work the guys park in the middle of a spot not allowing room for another motorcycle.

Since I am new to riding I was wanting to know what the normal practice is when it comes to parking. Do you park at the end of spots? Do you leave room in standard spots for another bike? Do you squeeze your bike beside another bike?

No No No, you have it all wrong. The really important people park in the fire lanes right in front. Thats how you show everyone how self important you are. Look at me!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
The moral of this story is that you should not apply logic and reason to behavior you disagree with if you're not willing to apply the same logic and reason to your own behavior.
Once again Friend, the thread was started to ask opinions about PARKING. THAT'S the logic I'm applying to it. I'm not off on some witch hunt that has nothing to do with the thread, just because some guy called me out on my lack of parking etiquette.

Obviously, you're just arguing and trying to take attention away from the fact that you think you're special and a lot of people don't care for guys like you. I guess I can understand how that would make someone feel backed into a corner and the need to grasp at any shred of "redemption" possible, no matter how ridiculous it makes a person sound. I'm actually starting to feel a little sorry for you, at this point.

To stay on topic, I reiterate:
I don't park where I'm not supposed to because I believe that parking rules/laws are in place for a reason and that reason usually involves safety to the general public. It's also because I believe in basic consideration for others, over my own selfish convenience.

Quick Reply: Parking