General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NativeTexican
When I took the MSC I was told you I was to only park in parking spots. I remember as a kid my dad always parked his motorcycle in the cross section at the end of parking spots. Does anyone still do this?

I have always figured that there is more than enough room to park two motorcycles in a normal parks spot but at work the guys park in the middle of a spot not allowing room for another motorcycle.

Since I am new to riding I was wanting to know what the normal practice is when it comes to parking. Do you park at the end of spots? Do you leave room in standard spots for another bike? Do you squeeze your bike beside another bike?
In Texas those are no parking areas and they can tow if they want to be a pr**k. I also wouldnt park there because of the idiot drivers cutting corners. Sit back and watch them sometime.

Don't ask how I know both of these to be true and I won't be red faced.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Speaking of parking more then one bike in a parking spot.
A few years ago our chapter went to a somewhat local eating establishment. There was a parking attendant there and it cost $5 to park. When we started to put 4 bikes in each spot, the attendant said that will be $20. We said we're only using one spot. He said it didn't matter - sooooo - we moved all the bikes into each individual spot - taking up about 40 parking spots. The owner came out yelling in some foreign language. We explained to him what we wanted to do - he fired the attendant on the spot and gave us 1/2 price on our dinners.

Traffic laws don't pertain to private property unless the owners agrees.

The main reason I use to park in the "End Zones" was to keep an eye on my bike while inside and believed a thief would not attempt to steal it and go on to easier pickings where nobody could see them. I never once thought I was special, never have never will. Back in the day it wasn't a problem - no one ever minded. Now days the world is full of a$$holes that can't abide anyone else doing something they don't do and they think is wrong - whether it is or not.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:09 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

When alone I take up the entire space for myself. I got blocked in once, trying to be nice during a bike nite, never again! As for where to park, your probably best off parking only in designated parking spaces. Anywhere else gives someone the right to be a dick!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem I see with parking on the sidewalk as I have seen this happen at some places that a lot of bikes congregate is that they take up the whole sidewalk. If a person like my wife who is handicapped with a wheel chair or some of the larger scooters they can not get through the bikes on the sidewalk. I would think the police or the owner of the establishment would take a dim view of that.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IDSTC
With the exception of properly marked handicap parking spaces, the rest of the lot markings are just suggestions or requests by the property owner.

Not true. Businesses are required to provide adequate parking for their customers. The standard for retail is 1 parking space for every 150 sq ft of floor area, but it does depend on the type of business. A warehouse used as storage for example, is not held to the same standard as a retail outlet.

As far as how I park, I use an entire space unless I am riding with someone else.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it's a case by case judgement call. Most of the time, if there is room to do so without being in the way, I'll park on a sidewalk or the hashed areas (non-handicap) in order to leave an extra space for a car. I've seen car owners go apeshit because a single bike took up a WHOLE spot. This is especially true in parking lots that are very busy.

I don't think I'm special nor do I do it to get right up close. The reality is that bikes have certain advantages and drawbacks compared to a car. I don't bitch about the city not putting roofs over roadways so I don't get wet in the rain, I don't wear a seatbelt on my bike, it doesn't have a third brake light or backup lights, doesn't need a front license plate, and I don't wear a helmet in my car...well...except at the strip but they require that. Yes, bikes are motor vehicles but to say they need to obey ALL the same laws as cars is not only wrong but a little unrealistic.

Some places around here do offer motorcycle parking and when they do, I use it. Though that doesn't mean cars can't use it either...

Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

cross section at the end of parking spots
If a car cuts a turn too sharp, you run the risk of getting hit.

As far as parking in a commercial lot, for the most part are private. There is no enforcement outside of a fire zone or handicap. both would or should be covered under municipal ordinances. Outside of that there is nothing covering the parking spaces.

Now there is one area to consider. Speaking only from NJ law, privtae commercial property owners can turn over enforcement of their lot to the town/city. In that case careless or reckless operation can become an issue. In addition, some owners and cities have ordinances to cover those that park across two spaces in fear of a door opening on their car. Rare but it does happen. (Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, NJ is one example.)

But short of specific ordinances, commercial lots are mostly unregulated. City street are a totally different animal. Two bikes in one spot has never been an issue anywhere I've gone although with my bike in angled parking setups I find one takes up the space pretty well.

Some places around here do offer motorcycle parking and when they do, I use it. Though that doesn't mean cars can't use it either...

Here at Hampton beach they have quite a bit of it. I've never seen a car try and use it. I can see the driver in that photo bitching about the tiown paintyed such small spaces that his car can't fit in.

Last edited by rscalzo; 04-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
I do use the cross lined area at Walmart parking lot. Talked to security there one time and they had no problem with it and frees us a space if their real busy. .

Went to Walmart and the parking lot was full and I circled a few times and could not find a spot up close. So I was backing into a spot that was for off. The security truck pulls up and the security guard tells me to go park up front in the hash marks. He said it is easier for them to watch my bike if its up front. Been parking in the hash marks ever since unless I get the first opening.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Again, you miss the point and further prove it. You think you're something special. End of story, IMO.

Let's see,
A: park in a designated spot like normal people do

I see you are self proclaimed decider on who is normal or not. Nice

B: park where I'm not supposed to and in such a way that creates a hazard for everyone else because I think I'm a bad *** and/or I have something to prove and/or I need the attention?
Hmmm, I choose... wait for it... wait for it... A!

I did state that I park on sidewalks (when it doesn't impede was the qualifier).

Uhhh... because it's common sense.

To you.

Most who do it think the same way you do. You either have an ax to grind, something to prove, or truly don't realize how it makes you look.

I get that is how you think. Not my problem you are narrowminded.

Motorcycles are considered "motor vehicles" and have to abide by the same laws as cars, truck, etc. So, would you park your car on the sidewalk, even though there was PLENTY of room for people to walk by and then act surprised when it got towed or ticketed?
heheheh, it's Tuesday and I'm bored!

So you didn't look it up! Your just spouting out your ***! No I wouldn't park my car on the sidewalk because it takes up a normal car's parking space.

Come on Man, you have to admit that threads like this are actually GOOD for the forum on some level. It keeps people interested, keeps people talking, shows a lot of different opinions & different personality types, etc., etc. The entertainment value is exceptional!

Oh Geez, a completely different situation, but don't get me started on those bastards! HAH!
You've proven to be a closed minded **** to me. Don't care what you think about that either. You'll just twist what I'd say and think what you want anyway.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 04-10-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

double

Quick Reply: Parking