General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Back in the day I always parked in the end striped area in our huge shopping malls. Then one day I did get a ticket(Illinois). I haven't been back to that shopping center since.
So for one lousy ticket(I was not interfeering with anyone) and as has been said many times here, freeing up a spot for someone else, that shopping center has lost thousands of dollars in buisness from me.

Yes it is suppost to be a non parking area, but what harm is there - TO ANYONE??? There's too many rediculous laws anyway.

As long as there's no obstruction I don't care if someone parks a scooter on the sidewalk - after all bicyclist do all the time and no one complains.

Now I just park in a full slot in the middle - I have a Tri Glide so no one else can slip in beside me.

Wouldn't it be cool if a shopping center laid out a whole area close to an entrance just for motorcycle parking? Maybe that would help get some people to buy a bike.

I asked the mall manager about putting in motorcycle parking and he just scowed at me and said there was no way he'd even concider doing anything for those hoodlums.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 04-10-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
I do use the cross lined area at Walmart parking lot. Talked to security there one time and they had no problem with it and frees us a space if their real busy...
Same here, Walmart is the only place locally that has the big cross lined areas on the ends of the isles that I park in. It's also the only place I've seen other bikes parked like this around here, I've seen as many as 4 in a section.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Just because we are on scooters doesn't somehow place us higher on the list. A legal parking spot is just that! Also, nothing pisses me off more than some guy parking his scooter up on the side walk ... it's just wrong.
Originally Posted by mmancuso
Not a matter of being higher on some list, but of being able to without being in anyone's way. Sorry you disagree.

If we were in the way, the owners/GM's wouldn't let us. We're not in anyone's way, and we're not consuming a parking place, so it's fine with them.
I don't think he was referring to YOU directly, but I have to agree about those who do it at WalMart or some place like that, thinking that they're "special". What gives them the right to park where you aren't supposed to? If I can park in a designated, legal parking spot and walk my *** into the store, why can't/don't you?

let me put it this way I don't know of anyoen ever getting a ticket for parking in the end cap. like others have said they park on the sidewalk which is also illegal.
OP, you're supposedly a new rider so, WTF is your deal!? You're seriously gonna start a thread asking "newbie" questions & seeking advice and then come back with a comment like that? If you're already set in your newbie ways and seem resistant to other opinions, then why even bother to ask?

As it turns out YOU, my friend, are one of those guys who thinks that you're special and don't have to abide by the same rules/laws as everyone else. Get over yourself. Regardless of what Mommy told you growing up, you're no better than the rest of us. Park in a LEGAL spot and walk the extra 50' to get into the store.

Same here, Walmart is the only place locally that has the big cross lined areas on the ends of the isles that I park in. It's also the only place I've seen other bikes parked like this around here, I've seen as many as 4 in a section.
OK so, who is responsible when your bike gets clipped by a passing car and you're technically parked illegally??

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 04-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
wtr43
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gosh damn....If you have to ask where to park or even where do "yall" park maybe you aren't old enough to be riding!!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
OK so, who is responsible when your bike gets clipped by a passing car and you're technically parked illegally??
Bike wont get clipped if its on the sidewalk! Problem solved.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't think he was referring to YOU directly, but I have to agree about those who do it at WalMart or some place like that, thinking that they're "special". What gives them the right to park where you aren't supposed to? If I can park in a designated, legal parking spot and walk my *** into the store, why can't/don't you?
I didn't take it as directed at me specifically, but at people like me who park on the sidewalk when I can, and responded from that perspective.

It's not a matter of being "special". I sure don't feel that way. What I feel is that I can park places where cages couldn't even if they wanted to.

Besides being convenient for me (yes, it is!), I'm also making parking available for another cage, possibly making things more convenient for that person also.

If I'm not in the way, not hurting or hindering anyone, freeing a space for a car, and the establishment doesn't care, then what's the problem?

Just because I'm not supposed to? Really? Do you ever go faster than the speed limit? Ever? You're not supposed to.

OP, you're supposedly a new rider so, WTF is your deal!? You're seriously gonna start a thread asking "newbie" questions & seeking advice and then come back with a comment like that? If you're already set in your newbie ways and seem resistant to other opinions, then why even bother to ask?

As it turns out YOU, my friend, are one of those guys who thinks that you're special and don't have to abide by the same rules/laws as everyone else. Get over yourself. Regardless of what Mommy told you growing up, you're no better than the rest of us. Park in a LEGAL spot and walk the extra 50' to get into the store.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Bike wont get clipped if its on the sidewalk! Problem solved.
HAH! No, there it would get knocked over by some moron onto some moron an you'd be paying their pain & suffering for the rest of your life...

I didn't take it as directed at me specifically, but at people like me who park on the sidewalk when I can, and responded from that perspective.

It's not a matter of being "special". I sure don't feel that way. What I feel is that I can park places where cages couldn't even if they wanted to.

Besides being convenient for me (yes, it is!), I'm also making parking available for another cage, possibly making things more convenient for that person also.
Sorry Man, but a response like that proves that you absolutely think you're special! Freeing up a spot for a cager!? What a load of BS, but if that's what you have to tell yourself to keep from feeling like a privileged douche, then do it.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 04-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

If your bike is clipped when it is parked where a cage should not be driving, it doesn't matter whether you were legally parked or not, it's the cage's fault and responsibility.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Poolguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is AWESOME!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

HAH! No, there it would get knocked over by some moron onto some moron an you'd be paying their pain & suffering for the rest of your life...

Sorry Man, but a response like that proves that you absolutely think you're special! Freeing up a spot for a cager!? What a load of BS, but if that's what you have to tell yourself to keep from feeling like a privileged douche, then do it.
Listen ********, I didn't say that I do it to free up a spot, I said that is one benefit of me parking where I do, in response to your childish complaints. "You're not supposed to do it. I don't and if that's good enough for me it should be good enough for you." What a load of ****.

You appear to have one of those reading comprehension problems where you only read what you want it to say, not what's actually said.

So, you never answered douchebag... do you ever go over the speed limit? You do know you're not supposed to, don't you? I guess you must feel that you're special, eh?

Quick Reply: Parking