General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wash the bike without water!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wash the bike without water!

Somebody in a thread recently said the only time they wash their bike is in the garage when it is raining. I had to think about that statement a whole lot longer than I wanted to. Sounds nice until you think about spraying a hose in your garage and then the idea falls apart. So I thought to myself...Self?, is it possible that they now make something like a quick detailer that is made to clean a car/bike that is actually dirty instead of just something that is mostly clean?

Today I had to stop by the auto parts store for something so I asked. Low and behold, Meguiar's just released such a product! They call it Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere. Says a 26 oz bottle will wash and wax 3-4 cars without water. Even has a $5 introductory mail-in rebate, which I know good and well I'll never get around to mailing-in, but I'll lie to myself about it till it expires. *LOL*

I've seen others put disclaimers, so since this sounds like an advertisement, I'll do so as well: I am not affiliated with Meguiar's or any company that distributes their products.

I haven't used it yet but I have high expectations. Been a big fan of Mequiar's products ever since I learned to drive. I might just go from never having a clean bike to never having a dirty bike. While not loosing saddle time and not fighting water spots. Seems too good to be true.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There's no way in hell I'm cleaning my black bike without water. Period. Nothing is going to wash away the surface crap that scratches paint except a large dose of water.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love MeGuiars products but I won't be buying that.

Last edited by Dixie Dreg; 04-10-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Somebody in a thread recently said the only time they wash their bike is in the garage when it is raining. I had to think about that statement a whole lot longer than I wanted to. Sounds nice until you think about spraying a hose in your garage and then the idea falls apart. So I thought to myself...Self?, is it possible that they now make something like a quick detailer that is made to clean a car/bike that is actually dirty instead of just something that is mostly clean?

Today I had to stop by the auto parts store for something so I asked. Low and behold, Meguiar's just released such a product! They call it Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere. Says a 26 oz bottle will wash and wax 3-4 cars without water. Even has a $5 introductory mail-in rebate, which I know good and well I'll never get around to mailing-in, but I'll lie to myself about it till it expires. *LOL*

I've seen others put disclaimers, so since this sounds like an advertisement, I'll do so as well: I am not affiliated with Meguiar's or any company that distributes their products.

I haven't used it yet but I have high expectations. Been a big fan of Mequiar's products ever since I learned to drive. I might just go from never having a clean bike to never having a dirty bike. While not loosing saddle time and not fighting water spots. Seems too good to be true.

Tried it and it scratched my paint. If I was you I would only use it after spraying your bike down with water first.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Water is the universal solvent. Quick detailers ain't for cleaning dirt! Light dust, well okay. And I do use a detailer for light bugs and light dust, but when the bike has been running in the rain or just flat out dirty - soap and water.

My $0.02

Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

And the Honda quick detailer is better than any other. Period. You have to try it to understand how good it really is.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Dirtball
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree that the stuff that says you do not need water is not for removing excessive dirt. Only soap and water will do that. I use a bucket of warm water and a drying towel. The warm water helps to remove the bugs.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,667 Likes on 699 Posts

All I ever use is Windex on both bikes. Good soaking sprays and soak a rag with it. Then use a dry cloth to wipe it down. No water spots and dries quick. Cheap half-gallon refills at Wally mart.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
And the Honda quick detailer is better than any other. Period. You have to try it to understand how good it really is.
+ 1 on the Honda polish. It's also labeled "biker spirits" if bought somewhere other then Honda. I used it on my black bike since new. Water out of a hose never touched my bike for 2 years till I moved to the wet side of Washington state and deal with sand in the winter now. But in the summer with a once a week wipe down this stuff rocks. I do use my mini California duster first though.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
Tried it and it scratched my paint. If I was you I would only use it after spraying your bike down with water first.
Thank you so much for posting! Now I'm scared. Guess I'll have to use it as more of a detailer even though it clearly states it is more of a cleaner. Yes, I will use water as you advise. Think I can get away with squirting with water from a spray bottle? My goal here is to wash in the garage when it is raining or too cold to ride or be spraying a hose. Otherwise I stick with the "never wash when you can ride" theory.

Quick Reply: Wash the bike without water!