General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wash the bike without water!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Poolguy
Now that I will have to try. Florida bugs are the WORST. Espesially during love bug season. Up north you have winter season. Here we have love bug season.
I use a lot of windex and spray on wax with micro fiber cloth.
Be generous with the spray and be PATIENT and let it do the job. I have tendency to want to flush and wipe to soon (cant stand a dirty bike).
Those hard, crusty critters just melt away.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Somebody in a thread recently said the only time they wash their bike is in the garage when it is raining. I had to think about that statement a whole lot longer than I wanted to. Sounds nice until you think about spraying a hose in your garage and then the idea falls apart. So I thought to myself...Self?, is it possible that they now make something like a quick detailer that is made to clean a car/bike that is actually dirty instead of just something that is mostly clean?

Today I had to stop by the auto parts store for something so I asked. Low and behold, Meguiar's just released such a product! They call it Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere. Says a 26 oz bottle will wash and wax 3-4 cars without water. Even has a $5 introductory mail-in rebate, which I know good and well I'll never get around to mailing-in, but I'll lie to myself about it till it expires. *LOL*

I've seen others put disclaimers, so since this sounds like an advertisement, I'll do so as well: I am not affiliated with Meguiar's or any company that distributes their products.

I haven't used it yet but I have high expectations. Been a big fan of Mequiar's products ever since I learned to drive. I might just go from never having a clean bike to never having a dirty bike. While not loosing saddle time and not fighting water spots. Seems too good to be true.
I just started using this product a couple weeks ago & it works awesome! I never wash my bike with soap/water...I use wet microfiber rags to wipe it down & spray bugs & other grime with windex & let sit for 5 minutes first. Everything wipes right off. Then I use the product listed above to detail and shine...works perfect. No water...no mess & whoever says it scratches their paint isn't doing it right or is using the wrong or dirty rags. ALWAYS use a new or very clean microfiber rag. I have a new black bike & this stuff makes it really shine. I also use Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 on my bikes...good products.
Shined a flourescent light over the paint before and after and there are less micro-scratches than when it was new..

Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, I gotta agree about using water. A must, IMO. Especially with black paint.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide_Open
I've always used soft water from the house in one of those 2 gallon bug sprayers. That way I can do it in the garage out of the sun.
+1 on the bug sprayer. Works great.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
And the Honda quick detailer is better than any other. Period. You have to try it to understand how good it really is.
+1 on this, got some in the cab, I'll add that I bought some Lucas detailer spray last yr and its pretty good also..

It smells like bubble gum. that''s different.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghira75
the nanny-laws where i live don't allow me to wash it with a bucket unless I have a system to dispose of the contaminated water from chemical/dirt. Otherwise it would be hose + bucket, because I like it the old fashioned way.
Don't you have to wonder what whoever wrote those "nanny-laws" think about where all that contamination comes from? How can they look at themselves in the mirror if they're not also "decontaminating" those streets?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread illustrates why I always buy used bikes/Harleys. Most (not all) Harley owners are **** about their bikes. This carries over to maintenance, oil changes, etc. The rest of my life can be falling apart but my bike is (almost) always clean and shiny with fresh fluids.