General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wash the bike without water!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My scoot is always dirty. If I have time to wash it, I have time to ride it! If the weather is bad, it may get a wash from the rain and a quick detail after.

I like my bike, but it is afterall a machine made to withstand dirt and wet.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 AM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Somebody in a thread recently said the only time they wash their bike is in the garage when it is raining. I had to think about that statement a whole lot longer than I wanted to. Sounds nice until you think about spraying a hose in your garage and then the idea falls apart.
Very Simple this is what I do. Take the bike out in the rain and wash it then back in to the garage to clean and polish it

Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Washing without water is like nails across a chaulkboard. Gotta flush away that grime.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never hose my bike. I try not to ride in the rain so it does not get all that dirty. I use mist and wipe, micro fibers for the paint, now and then I will use a spary bottle with water and a clean absorber to get the build up off and then lemon pledge for the chome and lower parts. Wax the paint a few times a year and my bike always looks great.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always use quick detailer (Meguire's) after a ride. If I catch rain or I've been out overnight for a long ride and the bike really gets dirty, I spray it with quick detailer, then I use this product called Vulcanet (no, I'm not affiliated) which consists of microfiber wipes soaked in a very powerful chemical solution specifically designed for removing bugs/dirt from automobiles paint. First I wipe it very gently so I spread the wet wipes/chemical solution all over the surface to begin the chemical action. Then I do it again in order to remove the dirt completely.
I do the whole bike with 2-3 wipes. Then I just wipe it with a dry microfiber cloth and it remains shining. When really bored I re-detail it for the sake of it and Meguire's tech wax follows (this happens rarely though)
So it's is a waterless system you can do in the garage and quick, no need for buckets and hoses etc, the other advantage is that with the wipes I can reach easily every little corner of the bike, that it would be impossible to do with a sponge.
This is because I don't have a garage nor a driveway, and the nanny-laws where i live don't allow me to wash it with a bucket unless I have a system to dispose of the contaminated water from chemical/dirt. Otherwise it would be hose + bucket, because I like it the old fashioned way.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Slickster63
Tourer

try showering without water for a couple weeks and see what people around you think about how clean you are!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Tip: Use a diluted 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to spray down your bike to get rid of BUGS. The mix will instantly begin to "boil" off those nasty bug guts and will not harm paint or chrome surface. I carry a spray bottle in my saddlebags on all long trips.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Poolguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Tip: Use a diluted 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to spray down your bike to get rid of BUGS. The mix will instantly begin to "boil" off those nasty bug guts and will not harm paint or chrome surface. I carry a spray bottle in my saddlebags on all long trips.
Now that I will have to try. Florida bugs are the WORST. Espesially during love bug season. Up north you have winter season. Here we have love bug season.
I use a lot of windex and spray on wax with micro fiber cloth.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Crash75
Tourer

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
There's no way in hell I'm cleaning my black bike without water. Period. Nothing is going to wash away the surface crap that scratches paint except a large dose of water.
Originally Posted by slughill
+1 on that
+2 on that!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just try to make a weekend stop at a bar or someplace doing a bike wash once a month or so and get it washed while i eat... in the winter my bike gets to be a dirty girl.

Quick Reply: Wash the bike without water!