General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bike, but glad you are ok. Is sounds to me from what I am hearing from the responses that a rear tire flat is worse than a front. I have not had either (knock on wood), so I just imagined that a front tire would be much harder to control to a stop. Learn something new every day.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85RoadsterXLS
Sorry to hear about your bike, but glad you are ok. Is sounds to me from what I am hearing from the responses that a rear tire flat is worse than a front. I have not had either (knock on wood), so I just imagined that a front tire would be much harder to control to a stop. Learn something new every day.
best way to describe is a possibility of 3' from center of where your riding, in both directions, left & right, so imagine the rear swinging 6 feet back & forth, while trying to get it under control. a sudden loss of air from a torn tire, & even the best riders can go down, a slow leak can be dealt with, but a flat, in rear is one of the most dangerous problems other than trying to ride on black ice, & I will take my chances on black ice slowly, over a rear tire blowout at any speed!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 PM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KRHD1
I can't honestly say I know for certain why I went down. It was like this: pulled bike to the shoulder, severe wobble, on the ground, FXD sliding down the shoulder of the interstate. Lots of pain... If anything I hope you all learn something from this.
the main thing is that you are alright, bike is repairable / or replaceable, your not...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

This happened to my buddy, just ahead of me, at 75 mph, after passing a line of 18 wheelers. He was able to get it to the shoulder safely. He didn't realize what was happening at first. I was getting little pieces of the rubber bouncing off my windshield. I pulled up next to him and frantically motioned him to pull over. It wasn't until he got off the bike that he realized how close he come to crashing, badly.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:11 PM
ssmith579
Tourer

Had a flat on the rear of my FXR a couple years ago going down the freeway. First I thought the lines in the road were catching the tire, then it felt like the bike was hinged in the middle. Made it from the fast lane onto the shoulder and got the bike stopped. Tire was completely flat. Turned out to the a 3/4" slit/ hole or whatever in the seam at the base of the tread. Not sure how it happened. Took 4 tire plugs just to get it to hold air so I could get it to the shop.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 AM
4trax
Cruiser

This is a Metzler tire, did he or is going to contact them about this?

Originally Posted by duecedog
This happened to my buddy, just ahead of me, at 75 mph, after passing a line of 18 wheelers. He was able to get it to the shoulder safely. He didn't realize what was happening at first. I was getting little pieces of the rubber bouncing off my windshield. I pulled up next to him and frantically motioned him to pull over. It wasn't until he got off the bike that he realized how close he come to crashing, badly.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by fffffish
Had a rear tire go flat with the wife on the bike with me It felt like the front tire had come loose and I was looking down at it before I realized what was going on I managed to get it stopped alright The only bad part was pushing the bike 4 miles to a gas station (before cell phones)

Glad your OK hope everything goes well.
It felt the same way with me. My back tire went down and I kept looking at the front tire because the steering was all over the place.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fffffish
The only bad part was pushing the bike 4 miles to a gas station (before cell phones) .
I would have driven it, but on side of road, just above idle, & dog paddled it the 4 miles, riding maybe 5mph?

if your bike has modern brakes? "disc" & modern bearings "timken" then I am sure that was a workout. before I would push I would take a screwdriver & pry pads to release them from rotors, as they have a little drag. dont believe it, next time you do a brake job, with both calipers off, notice how much easier it pushes. I only had to push a bike with this 1 time & that was until I could get service with cell phone & that was maybe 1 mile, all in mountains, that was an electrical problem that shut engine off.

for the bearings, not much that you can do, only early bikes "big twins" before 73, had non timken bearings & drum brakes & they roll so much easier. I havent decided if I will use drums on my project, or disc, mainly because I want to use a 46 rear & drum is pretty much 51, & once upon a time 49, was available. I want less rolling resistance, & better gas mileage.

Randy

Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 4trax
This is a Metzler tire, did he or is going to contact them about this?
No, we all assumed that it was caused by some type of damage like a cut or slice. Besides, he got rid of the whole bike a couple of months later and now rides a Ultra Classic.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
KRHD1
5th Gear

Quick note about the progressive claim. 6k in damages. It was not a total loss. I got to do some shopping for replacements parts today. Happy with the results.