General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean or ride your bike more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
I wash mine when I ride - we have a power washer at the company shop that will peel chrome...
Power washer not good for motorcycles - forces water into places you don't want it.

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
I blow it off with the compressor every weekend...
Blowing compressed air also not good for motorcycle - blows dust into places you don't want it.

Originally Posted by Benway
Man, I can remember collecting green stamps!
Oh man, that brings back the memories. Sitting down with the stamp book, and a wet sponge...
I still have (and use) a Black & Deker drill that I got with Blue Chip stamps.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Power washer not good for motorcycles - forces water into places you don't want it.
Yeah, so does 70 MPH in the pouring rain. But, hey, don't tell my bikes that....

only been doing it 40 years.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, you mean you can wash'm??! I only did that their first ten years.....

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

If I'm standing there looking at the purdy little thing it means I'm not riding it. I didn't buy it to look at.

Last edited by Newharleylover; 04-09-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Somebody in this thread said the only time they wash their bike is in the garage when it is raining. I had to think about that statement a whole lot longer than I wanted to. Sounds nice until you think about spraying a hose in your garage and then the idea falls apart. So I thought to myself...Self?, is it possible that they now make something like a quick detailer that is made to clean a car/bike that is actually dirty instead of just something that is mostly clean?

Today I had to stop by the auto parts store for something so I asked. Low and behold, Meguiar's just released such a product! They call it Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere. Says a 26 oz bottle will wash and wax 3-4 cars without water. Even has a $5 introductory mail-in rebate, which I know good and well I'll never get around to mailing-in, but I'll lie to myself about it till it expires. *LOL*

I've seen others put disclaimers, so since this sounds like an advertisement, I'll do so as well: I am not affiliated with Meguiar's or any company that distributes their products.

I haven't used it yet but I have high expectations. I might just go from never having a clean bike to never having a dirty bike. While not loosing saddle time and not fighting water spots. Seems too good to be true

(I'm going to cut/paste, edit, and start a thread so everyone gets the benefit of this post. Just, FYI so you don't feel like you are experiencing Deja Vu)

Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I usually use water only on the wheels when I do spokes.

I think I've only used the hose on the whole bike at most 2@ a yr.

I like to just use detail spray wax between rides. and wax maybe monthly.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Poolguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me it feels good to ride right after you spent a little time to make it shine. I'm not obssesive but I do spend a little time to wipe it down and give it a once over before a ride. At least get the bugs off. Then do a total douche and polish maybe once a month.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine gets washed maybe once a month if that. I log about 2500-3000 miles a month, not a lot of time for detailing with work, etc. it looks "decent" most of the time but is rarely spotless.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Grand-Dragon
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

It's simply too easy to get off your bike and hit it with a spray wax when you finish riding for the day. It's 10 minutes max and it's ready for the next ride. Then once a month or so hit it with the hose and it will continue to look new.

I don't care if somones bike is clean or not. I just assume they are lazy. It's no big deal.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 AM
21HD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't agree more ... I do the same as I will simply use spray wax everytime bike is ridden. A simple 10-20 minutes stem to stearn keeps the bike looking gooooooooooooood and there is something about riding a clean shiny ride! I feel this makes it easier to wash when it is time. But hey we are all different and it is all good as we all like to ride.

Originally Posted by Grand-Dragon
It's simply too easy to get off your bike and hit it with a spray wax when you finish riding for the day. It's 10 minutes max and it's ready for the next ride. Then once a month or so hit it with the hose and it will continue to look new.

I don't care if somones bike is clean or not. I just assume they are lazy. It's no big deal.

Quick Reply: Clean or ride your bike more?