General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean or ride your bike more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride more, but I do try to keep it clean but not obsessive about it. I live in the country so there is lots of bugs and dust in the air as we are near a lot of farms. Speaking of I need to clean mine tomorrow lots of bugs guts on the front!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Russ Oliveri
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hmmmm

I wipe down down the bike and clean the windshield before every ride...If she takes care of me I like to take care of her...Just a me thing I suppose...Besides, if anyone is from Atlanta youll understand the pollen count

Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

My bike always LOOKS clean, so everybody THINKS I spend all kinds of time cleaning it, but not so. Usually, I just wipe it down with a damp microfiber towel after a ride to clean the bugs off. I really don't like to wet wash a bike unless it needs it, since, unlike a car, there's a lot of places on a bike you don't want to get water into. Then again, a white bike doesnt show dust very easily.

I generally wash and detail the bike once a month unless I get caught in the rain.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I live on a dirt road, so cleaning is a waste of time! I can get it all polished up
perfectly, my the time I get to the tar, it's totally covered in dust again!
pisses me off, but I get used to it...I keep a small cali-duster in the saddlebag in case
I want to dust it off while on the road though.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 PM
dking909
Tourer

I keep all my vehicles clean. I know that it is like shoveling sh*t against the tide but you gotta take care of your stuff.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
08 Ulysses. Washed it once when I got back from Alaska. 07 FXSTC is about twice now and is due. 09 XR1200 never so far. 10 Superglide never. 10 Ultra three times. 12 Vrod never and the 12 RG never.

HAHA thanks, now I don't feel so guilty, I have a 12 dyna I got last September and I think I wiped it off after it rained once or twice- oh yeah, I did wash it once I think last summer. When I bring it into the dealer for service they always return it spotless, clean and detailed. Whaa ? That's nice, I think- how'd they get it so clean ?? HAHA then I ride it.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM
BIACKBENZ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather ride. Whyen its time to clean the bike I'm obsesive about it. A coat of wax even on the underside of the panels below the seat. Keeping it waxed makes each cleaning easier. So, once a month I spend several hour detailing the bike. Why not - its raining anyway!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:53 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Never waste prime riding time cleaning your bike. But if you have to, clean the top of your gas tank, handle bars and windshield if you have one. Those are the only parts you see when riding. And only waste time cleaning if it's raining, or your stuck at home with a hour or so to kill. Even better, clean it during the week so your not the guy who misses the weekend ride because you just have to polish the bottom of your exhaust. A clean bike also makes it easier for others to pick out the flaws on your bike. They're right out there for everyone to see.,,

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spend about 15 minutes wiping it down after most rides...I never wash it so it saves time in the long run

Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

I think I have washed it 5-7times but ride it to work every day when I am in town. But I bought black denim specifically because I got it to ride, not polish. Squirt n go!

Quick Reply: Clean or ride your bike more?