General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension- Tuned the bike-now tune the rider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Suspension- Tuned the bike-now tune the rider?

Today's riding realization-

Over the past few months I have added some suspension goodies to my 98 Wide Glide, including Ohlins out back and some front end magic. This, on top of the Metzlers, the Tru-track and aligning the whole bike, has resulted in a very capable ride! I am still tweaking the settings to tune in the perfect ride.

Sunny day today, so I rode my favorite short and twisty road close to home and IT HIT ME! My Harley is now way more capable of riding the corners hard than I am. The ride is much nicer on smooth and straight roads, but it really shines in the twistys! I can (could) go faster than before, but noticeably, my skills have not improved with the capabilities of the bike.

I am just an average rider, safe enough on the highways and around town. I tend to ride (and drive) conservatively on backroads, and a couple guys I ride with are always waiting for me and a couple other buddies to catch up. Never had a problem with it. They have years of riding skill, and the guts to back it up. They also ride FXDXs. But in reality, a a skilled rider could probably keep up to them on my bike even when it was stock. Now that it is 'tuned for performance' it gives me some assistance. But I believe the next step is to get some advanced riding skills.

Thus my question-
What is the next step?
Is there a Harley Performance riding school, like sportbike guys have?
How about track days on Harleys?

How have YOU improved your riding skills? Books, video suggestions, etc?

Thought I would throw it out there and see what the reaction is.

Ride safe, everyone.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 132 Likes on 105 Posts

If you really want to learn to ride fast, then the next step is taking a track school. Forget the books and vids, hands on go fast schooling is the only way. Not a Harley track day either, I mean a real race school. Look around. I went to Keith Code at Willow Springs in another life, lol.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

Not really looking to ride 'fast', but sure would like to be able to turn up the speed when needed.
I think I'm looking for cornering techniques, lane set up, good braking, etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it comes down to practice, practice, practice. Pick a section of road with the twists you like and focus on your counter steering, eye's and head up looking into the turn, lane position in, through and out. Once it "clicks' your muscle memory takes over and each time you can add a little more aggression. But never enough that you loose control. Stay within your comfort zone and feel the bike.
Be cool, ride safe. my2¢.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

murd, you know the road from Dundarave to Horseshoe Bay!
The improvements are tempting me to GO DEEPER.

Can't wait until summer.And the interior roads.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,822 Likes on 2,781 Posts

When I got my first Harley(after sportbike and supermoto) It sucked. After some suspension, fork upgrades it's a blast. The bikes are not bad at all handling wise with some tweaks- you will learn not to be so scared anymore now that it is ready for you to up the pace.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Snarvol
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schwangster
Not really looking to ride 'fast', but sure would like to be able to turn up the speed when needed.
I think I'm looking for cornering techniques, lane set up, good braking, etc.

What mods did you do to the forks??

Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd say just ride it for a while and get the feel for the mods you did. the rest will come naturally once your comfort level raises.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Learning and practicing how to brake and turn, and how different inputs, like trail braking, effect the bike aren't a bad idea for anyone who rides. I changed my suspension recently and it's taking a while to have faith in the bike after riding so long with the stock setup. There are some good books out there that you can read and practice the techniques, but the Kieth Code schools are top notch and you can rent a bike from them.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:42 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
Learning and practicing how to brake and turn, and how different inputs, like trail braking, effect the bike aren't a bad idea for anyone who rides. I changed my suspension recently and it's taking a while to have faith in the bike after riding so long with the stock setup. There are some good books out there that you can read and practice the techniques, but the Kieth Code schools are top notch and you can rent a bike from them.
Those are the words I was looking for!
The handling is better even when I am 'cruising' but I notice it really shines when I hit the corners faster. I've read up on some good hi-performance driving practices, and starting to use them more. Very cool stuff. Working for me even with the big old 16" apes !

As far as the fork mods, I'm using fabrik8rs modified Ricors, Racetech springs, and Amsoil 5W.
Ohlins out back, Metzler tires, and a tru-track.

Quick Reply: Suspension- Tuned the bike-now tune the rider?