General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little bell under the bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005 | 02:19 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Little bell under the bike

Joe,

PM me your address...

Mac

Old 07-31-2005 | 12:18 AM
finallyultra
Intermediate

From ride bell vendor on the web: What is a Ride BellĀ®?

Evil Road Spirits! They love to ride, but they can't stand bells.
Road spirits can't live in the presence of a bell, the constant ringing drives them insane, they lose their grip and they fall to the road. (Have you ever wondered how potholes are formed?) Anyway the bell has served its purpose.
If you've picked up a bell on your own, the magic will work. But if your bell was given to you, the power has been doubled, and you know that somewhere you have a special friend helping to look after you. When placing a bell on your bike, the closer to the ground the better. Usually the lower part of the frame is good. Don't give those little critters a chance to get on board.
Frank

Old 07-31-2005 | 12:35 AM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a bunch of superstitious nonsense to me

Old 07-31-2005 | 12:39 AM
Baggy
Tourer

My Grand babies gave me a ride bell on my birthday. It's the most favorite part of the bike to me.

Old 07-31-2005 | 02:30 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Johnny

Sounds like a bunch of superstitious nonsense to me
I agree, I think it more a gesture of friendship than anything else...one kindred soul to another. If bells trapped demons, I'd have on around my neck. That would take care of the 13 y/o one that lives in my house that comes out once in a while. All the other times, life is good!

Mac

Old 07-31-2005 | 02:21 PM
eg willy
Cruiser

Supposedly, if you give the mojo bell to another rider, the power doubles. I ride with the bell and an angel biker pin I got at Los Angeles HD.

Old 07-31-2005 | 02:38 PM
fatboydews
Intermediate

The Biker community, like any other, has its own traditions and superstitions. The bell is only of those. I don't know if it (the bell) works or not, but I wouldn't ride without one. Mine is attached to the front floorboard, and seems to be doing its thing since I haven't had any problems.

Another "superstition" is bike blessing. Here is Chochise county AZ, we have an annual Blessing of the Bikes on New Years Day every year. All bikes and riders are blessed by a Minister (denomination unimportant) who also rides. Just like the bell, it may not do any good, but I am there every year. Figure, given all the idiot cagers out on the roads, it can't hurt.

Speaking of superstitions, anybody remember that about 25 - 30 years ago a green Harley was considered bad luck?

Old 07-31-2005 | 03:48 PM
Baggy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fatboydews

Speaking of superstitions, anybody remember that about 25 - 30 years ago a green Harley was considered bad luck?
I didn't know a green Harley was bad luck but remember a green race car was supposed to be bad luck.

Old 07-31-2005 | 05:31 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

If potholes are formed by bad spirits falling off and hitting the road, I know some back roads where I go that there have been a lot of bad spirits falling off and hitting the road.
ORIGINAL: finallyultra

From ride bell vendor on the web: What is a Ride BellĀ®?

Evil Road Spirits! They love to ride, but they can't stand bells.
Road spirits can't live in the presence of a bell, the constant ringing drives them insane, they lose their grip and they fall to the road. (Have you ever wondered how potholes are formed?) Anyway the bell has served its purpose.
If you've picked up a bell on your own, the magic will work. But if your bell was given to you, the power has been doubled, and you know that somewhere you have a special friend helping to look after you. When placing a bell on your bike, the closer to the ground the better. Usually the lower part of the frame is good. Don't give those little critters a chance to get on board.
Frank

Old 07-31-2005 | 08:36 PM
eg willy
Cruiser

All of which begs the question....if the evil ones fall off, does the next bike with the bell get them?

Quick Reply: Little bell under the bike