General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little bell under the bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005 | 01:51 PM
05 DELUXE
Road Master
Default RE: Little bell under the bike

my bell was on and it broke off and fell on the highway. i was left with just the top metal piece that connects to the bell....

some tough demons around here.

Old 07-29-2005 | 02:08 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior

Another thing no one has mentioned. Once the bell is on the bike it is part of the bike and goes with the bike. If you sell the bike or trade it in the bell has to stay on it and you hafta wait to be given another one. As for buying your own thats a big no no I dont care what others are doing. Also I was told chrome bells dont work they actualy attract the road gremlins! Brass is best. I got a polished brass bell on mine that has tarnished a little so I think I may be safe Now Im not very superstitious but I do love good folklore and tradition so I follow the rules of the bell If people go altering the rules of a tradition to suit them eventualy the trsdition will cease to exist.

Old 07-29-2005 | 02:36 PM
rgerber
Road Master

Here's the sccop: http://www.gremlinbells.com/
ORIGINAL: Pat

My good lady wife gave me a tiny little bell that she says must be given to you and is to be hung under the bike to ward off the road demons. Any of you ever hear of this?

Since most of time I need all the help I can get, I've hung it down there with a little leather strap.

Pat

Old 07-29-2005 | 02:39 PM
DannyDFXWG
Advanced

I had a bell... but it fell off somewhere and and I don't know where it is..... what do i do!? [X(]

Old 07-29-2005 | 02:48 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rgerber

Here's the sccop: http://www.gremlinbells.com/
ORIGINAL: Pat

My good lady wife gave me a tiny little bell that she says must be given to you and is to be hung under the bike to ward off the road demons. Any of you ever hear of this?

Since most of time I need all the help I can get, I've hung it down there with a little leather strap.

Pat
Yeah Ive seen that. They say having the bell given to you doubles it but you can buy your own. My bet is they say that because they are selling bells All the old timers Ive ever heard talk about it say ya cant buy your own.

Old 07-30-2005 | 05:19 AM
dynamac
Road Captain

I was told you couldn't buy your own. When I bought my bike it was used and the guy I bought from pulled off his bell when he handed me the keys. Luckily my wife went and bought me one. So far so good!

Old 07-30-2005 | 07:40 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

Got mine as a gift from the wife. Put it on before the first ride. Must work because nothing bad has happened yet.

Old 07-30-2005 | 11:22 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

I've always heard you can't buy your own as well. My wife bought me mine for Christmas and I've never had any troubles so far.

Old 07-30-2005 | 01:32 PM
05Dynachic
Outstanding HDF Member

First I heard of the bell was when I was Xmas shopping for a friend. I bought him a bell! It turned out he had lsot his when he T-boned some lady who pulled out in front of him. I then bought Kev one for his Heritage, he bought me one for my bike too!! not superstitious but its something we both ARE superstitious about!!

LONG LIVE THE BELL!!!

Shar

Old 07-30-2005 | 02:00 PM
Edmo
Road Master

A good friend of mine gave me my bell a week after I bought my scooter...

I'm not superstitious, but that brass bell is tied to the bottom of my bike with a tiny leather strap. It can't hurt and it just might help!

OBTW, moments before I learned I was selected to attend pilot training with the USAF, I found a 50 cent piece. Not that I'm superstitious, but that coin has rattled around in my pocket since that day. After 4,500 flying hours, my number of takeoffs still match my number of landings. Even though I'm retired from the USAF now, I still have the coin in my pocket and it rides with me on my Heritage.

Edmo

Quick Reply: Little bell under the bike