General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old School Open Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
exterminater
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old School Open Face Helmet

Any one have any cons about this style of helmet? I'm thinking about buying one of these lids. I think they would be kinda cool on my big head. Would it be a good idea to follow the size chart or go one size smaller? I'm thinking that after the break in one might have wished that a xl should have been a large. Doing this from on line and hate to send it back if I make a mistake in size judgement. I do not want the helmet to lift in a head wind.Interested in a Bell 500 style

Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A helmet is one thing you should never buy online without trying on first. They may be cheaper online, but you will pay a huge cost of time wasted and possibly money if it doesn't fit well.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM
exterminater
Intermediate

Yea that's true maybe a little advise from some folks that have this type of helmet will chime in with some appreciated advise.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about 3/4 helmets or 1/2 helmets?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Originally Posted by exterminater
Any one have any cons about this style of helmet? I'm thinking about buying one of these lids. I think they would be kinda cool on my big head. Would it be a good idea to follow the size chart or go one size smaller? I'm thinking that after the break in one might have wished that a xl should have been a large. Doing this from on line and hate to send it back if I make a mistake in size judgement. I do not want the helmet to lift in a head wind.Interested in a Bell 500 style
Generally speaking, the company's that make the products know the most about how they should fit. I would say you should be fine if you order based off of their recommendations, provided you actually measure and don't go off of your fitted ball cap.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM
cactus789
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exterminater
Love that helmet, I'm looking at one of those too, but with my huge cranium I would need to check it out in person first.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
skully1200
Road Master

I'm thinking about this style of helmet also. The only one I've had a chance to try on so far is the Fulmer V2. It felt pretty good (standing in the store). I would like to try some others to compare before buying, but haven't found any locally yet. Interested in Bell 500, Biltwell Hustler, Rockhard and whatever else. Feedback from those with experience would be great.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
tazaroo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the Bell for sure. The vintage 500 series rocks.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I have the Biltwell dot and it fits great. No draw backs for me. A friend got the Bell 500 and at freeway speed he would get air flow up in the top. Head shape is also important. He has a narrow head and it didnt work for him. He sent it back and got a Datona 1/2. Dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a little head!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

exterminater, just go to any dealer that sells Bell helmets and try one on. After you find your fit, see if they will match your online price. I give local shops that option and they usually match if they want the business.

Quick Reply: Old School Open Face Helmet