General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old School Open Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM
otoole22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bell Custom 500 Stint and I like it very much. I ordered an XL and according to specs I should of ordered a L. I have never been able to wear a L in anything that has gone on my head so that is why I ordered the XL. I did have to make a few adjustment to the helmet(finger mashing in the forehead area) but other than that it's a great helmet and I love the looks.

Now from reading all the reviews from here I decided to order a Lick's NOVDOT and I just got this helmet in this week. This helmet fit me like a glove. I just put it on and it was perfect. The Lick's is smaller than the bell and is lighter too. As far as how it looks, I would say the lick's looks a lot smaller on my head than the bell does(same size as the bell). I am keeping both because I just like the looks of the bell. If you are looking for a real small 3/4 helmet and don't care to much about all the cool styles the bell has to offer than I would go with the Lick's. Plus Aj at lick's is great to work with and was very fast getting me this helmet and I even had to send one back because I ordered a L. (I know I said I never had anything fit me that was a L, but I read somewhere they run big, not true, they are true to size). He sent me a new one before he got the old from me. Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Baxter's Bagger
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the 3/4 helmet with a flip up face shield for touring. I just couldn't do the full face and my 1/2 helmet blasts my face with wind and sun. To me, it's the perfect compromise.
I went with the HD Ultra Jet. It has opening vents that ventilate your head in warm weather. It's Snell/DOT certified and has a easily replaceable face shield.
I think it looks dorky with the visor, but that's just me.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 PM
jskibs
Advanced

I have a full face for cold/rain but I find it too claustrophobic for everyday use. I've given up on trying to make the DOT 1/2 helmets work. They either parachute, look very dorky, or both. Therefore over the winter I decided to do the open face, 3/4 helmet too. A couple months ago I got a Rockhard American Classic. They run about $89 versus $109+ for the Bell. I normally run on the cusp between a M and L, depending on the make although according to the size chart, I should have been a M with the Rockhard. I ordered a M from Motorcycle Superstore and it turned out to be too small. No big deal, sent it back and got a L. The whole process took maybe 10 days. I am very happy with the Rockhard. It is very comfortable and is low profile thus minimizing the Great Gazoo effect. It appears to fit round headed folks the best so YMMV. One reason I opted for the Rockhard is it comes with a goggle strap. I hate face shields and would rather go with goggles if weather conditions demand it.

Last edited by jskibs; 04-05-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM
exterminater
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay following the good advice I went to the American Biker store in Ladson SC and tried on a couple helmets and the large is the ticket.If they would have had the one I wanted I would have bought it from them. I ordered one from J&P cycles and will post pics when it gets here. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Fulmer V2
Love it!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if you want to go the old school way, buy the right goggles to go with it, this is what I did, they stay on the helmet when unused and I always put them on above 35 MPH, they are really useful, not just for the looks:

About 30 bucks in any good store.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
BillM
Road Captain

I like those goggles for sure. I need some 3/4 helmets so I can use my intercom with my wife.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
exterminater
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had these for about six years, just waiting on the 500 series helmet.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my cold weather helmet.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 AM
ShatteredSoul
Road Master

I've got the Lick's NovDot and I love it. Super nice people to work with and a good product.
Good luck in your choice!

Quick Reply: Old School Open Face Helmet