General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I screwed?

Bought a bike with a lien, did the transaction with the guy and traded bills of sale. This was almost two weeks ago, took the bike home but havent received the title in the mail yet....
Did I just get screwed? Has anyone else done this? How long till I can expect to see the title (if ever!)? Has anyone been the victim in this sorta situation before? If it never shows up do I have any recourse? SMH!

Thanks guys!

p.s., I know, I know.... Stupid!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have your answer, but just curious, you payed him in full and left it up to him to pay off the lien holder? I don't know what legal coarse you have, but until they are payed in full, they won't release the title. If the above is true, he ultimately sold you something he didn't own. Have you contacted the lien holder or seller?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,039 Likes on 17,929 Posts

This isn't going to end well ......................

Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser

Tried to call the seller, never found out who the lien holder was... Never did any research. The VIN is solid, not hot. Beyond that I dunno. Paid the seller in full in confidence that the bill of sale was all I needed to back my claims of ownership, now I'm worried...

Rookie maneuver, I know! I'm kicking myself. I been living under a rock (or on one) for a long time. Forgot how **** goes down over here.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a lawyer now! I got into a swindle with a crooked auction company and it took a lawyer to get me outta trouble.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You're screwed.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM
bg1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your payment needs to clear and be credited to his account, payment must be sent and clear at the lien holder, then the title must be sent out and received and forwarded to you. Two weeks isn't that long - there is still hope.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 394 Likes on 155 Posts

In NY you hold the title even if it has a bank lien on it, it is perfectly legal to sell a bike with a lien on the title the title is signed over to the new buyer and the seller pays off the loan and gets a letter from the bank releasing the lien. When I lived in Hawaii 20 years ago I remember holding titles on the bikes I owned so I would think the same rules apply. Personally I would give the guy a call and ask him for the release letter from the bank. By the way I sure do miss living in Maui.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Pay the seller a visit. Get the details you need before you waste money on a lawyer if you don't need to. Sometimes, these things do take time to work through the system.

Also, the title will be sent to the seller, not you. He will need to transfer it. Make sure you have that bill of sale in a safe place, in case he tries coming at you saying you stole the bike. After all, he has the proof of ownership.

Lastly, it's a lesson learned. Next go around, handle all this through your bank. Even if you have the cash to pay in full, your bank can handle all the transferring and keep you covered. Worst case, get a loan and pay it off in 2 months.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser

Well, thanks for the positives guys! I know how bad this can go, it's just nice to know that there's the slightest hope.

Quick Reply: Am I screwed?