General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i wouldn't be too worried yet, but defenitly stay in touch with the previous owner.. it takes forever for a lien to be released.. the fastest i have ever seen was when i sold a car and paid something like $100 for them to expedite it..it still took 3 days to get the title.. in most cases, it takes 4-6 weeks before you see a title. my wife payed off a car once, it took 6 months before we got a lean discharge letter..they still refused to send the title, we had to go to a title bureau and pay for a title search to get a new copy before we could sell the car..
if you have a bill of sale, he would have a real hard time saying you stole the bike, it could turn into a 3 ring circus in court before it is all straitened out though

Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,689 Likes on 705 Posts

Youre in Hawaii.....nobodys in a hurry there, dont sweat it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Man you guys are always looking for the worst in people, A title just takes some time to work through a bank or a finance company sometimes. I bought my wife a little truck a few years back as a extra just for her to run around in from a local lot that did financing. He sold the note right away of course to some little fly by night financing company. Paid the truck off and was told I would get the title in the mail. About a month went by and I still had not seen it so I called them and it was sitting on a girls desk because no one had told her what to do with it yet. Silly stuff that caused a delay. No big deal as I was not burning to have the title right away.

To the guys that say only buy when a title is available in hand, Hogwash, people sell vehicles everyday that money is owed on. Got to the tag office and transfer title and poof, done. You don't need a title in hand to do this as the state has record on hand. If you are out of state, make sure to talk with his bank first. All there is to it.

OP, I would not worry about it, he probably did not answer the phone today becasue he has already told you he would let you know when he gets it, no sense in saying the same thing everyday. Couple times a week is fine to call and check on it. I am sure your title is on the way. Forget about a lawyer unless he stonewalls you, cops are gonna laugh at you and ask what you want them to do about it. Folks running to Lawyers every time someone does not answer the phone has a lot to do with what is wrong with this country today.

Finally, I used to know a guy that always thought that every one was trying to rip him off and take advantage of him like a lot of these posters are saying and I realized one day that he thought that because he himself was always trying to rip somebody off or take advantage of them. Takes one to know one.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the check made out to the lien holder or the seller?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Never EVER plunk down cash unless you get a title with no lien on the spot. When I call about a bike, first ? I ask is "Do you have clear Florida title ON HAND? If he says "it's financed" I say "Bye".

Dickey don't trust nuttin' that's sposta "come in the mail". I give cash--I get title.

Last edited by dickey; 04-05-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Give it a good 30-days, but I'd still pay seller a visit...face-2-face is beter than phone - they can't ignore you.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Man you guys are always looking for the worst in people

Not sayin' anyone is gonna rip him or anybody off as a rule--it's just that once the seller has the cash, he prolly ain't gonna bust hump to get the title over fast--happened to a buddy of mine in NY when he bought his Softail Custom--seller dragged his *** & it took him 6 months to get the title. That's why I insist on "Clear title in hand" when I buy a vehicle--not afraid of getting ripped off, just want to avoid headaches & delays.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Never EVER plunk down cash unless you get a title with no lien on the spot. When I call about a bike, first ? I ask is "Do you have clear Florida title ON HAND? If he says "it's financed" I say "Bye".

Dickey don't trust nuttin' that's sposta "come in the mail".
Lol, I knew it was not gonna be long before you came here spouting that BS Dickey. I have seen you post that a hundred times if you have posted it once. People sell cars, trucks , bikes , boats, airplanes, houses, etc. everyday without titles and problems seldom arise if common sense is followed. When you bought your house was their a deed laying on The table? Bet there wasn't. Ever financed a new car? Bet you did not leave the dealer with a title. Total and complete rubbish. Good thing the whole buyers market is not as narrow minded as you or no one would ever sell anything.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it usallly takes at least 30 days for new title to be realeased but i would be onthat guys doorstep asap, and hope you learned a lesson never do what you just did, you were very stupid to put it mildely, again never ever do something like that without knowing who the lender is and you make a cashiers check out to the lender and go to bank with the selller and give him a check for remainder

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Dave
Thanks brother! Appreciate the insight, and the anti-lawyer sentiment. I think you've hit the nail on the head....

Quick Reply: Am I screwed?