General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks fisheye!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 3,174 Posts

If he's attempting to defraud you by not paying off the note, your Police Dept maybe interested in talking to you...and may well put pressure on him. Otherwise you may have a long civil suit ahead of you. You did write a short contract about him securing the title for you right?

You never really asked him who was holding the title? Honestly, I can't imagine a conversation regarding a sale where who's holding title wouldn't be discussed.

Something's not adding up here...

Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
This isn't going to end well ......................
Ditto! The OP should have gone to the bank with the seller to complete the transaction. Money to bank - bank release title - title to OP or signed over to OP by bank. All in one transaction. The bank can come for the bike if not paid by the seller. Not a good situation at all.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Call the lien holder to see if the bike has in fact been paid off. If not go to the seller, face to face, find out why the lien is still active. THEN if no results you need to hire an attorney before this guy skips out on you.
It can still work out don't panic yet. when you look him in the eye, watch for body language, if he avoids eye contact, shuffles his feet, beats around your questions without direct answers you have an issue.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Several years ago I sold a 4 wheeler. I was paid in full and I sent a check to the lien holder to pay off the loan. It took them 30 f'n days to get me the title. The guy I sold it to was worried just like you are. I talked to him several times over that month and all I could say was "its out of my hands". When I got the title I got it to him the next day and he was very relieved.

I'm not saying you're not screwed but sometimes it can take a while depending on the lien company.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt bother trying to call the seller , track hime down in person just to check in on the progress. 2 weeks isn't long enough....you arnt screwed , but may be in for a long bumpy ride

Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if the bank doesn't get paid, they'll go to the guy I bought it from. He tells them he sold it, this can't be legal?

We talked about it. The bank had the title, they'd get it and send it out. I'm just realizing how vulnerable I've made myself.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Rynb15
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya the bank owns the bike. If they dont get payments on it they dont give a **** who you are. You have their bike. I would just give the guy a call to make sure he is doing his part. But it takes time for a the paper work ti go through.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 PM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,771 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I bought a financed bike about a month ago. It was financed thru HD. Phone calls to HD finance and a great seller made the process fairly easy-out of state too.
It took HD over 2 weeks to send the title.
I did send a registered bank check to HD in my name for protection.
Hope you'll be OK. I hate thieves.

Last edited by mjrfd99; 04-05-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: drunk again LOL
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM
lohawg
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I went through this same deal 10 years ago on a Harley. The good part was that the owner had all of his original dealer documents, had HD finance, had the payment book or schedule, balance, etc. I think I sent a check direct to Harley after I talked to them. It still took more than a week. If your guy has to deposit your money and write another check to his financer it could be extra time.

Hope this works out well, try not to go off the deep end before you confirm that there's something wrong, might just be normal slow-assed bureaucracy.

Had something a little off that topic happen, I bought another bike from a guy who lent me his tag to drive the bike home. He held the title and would send it when I mailed his tag back. Well, I mailed it on a Sunday at the only post office open that day just to get it back ASAP. Unfortunately, no signature or return receipt. The guy denies getting the tag in the mail, goes to DMV and claims its lost, pays 50 bucks for that manuever and gives me a hard time about it. I had to pay the guy his fifty, he actually had the DMV paperwork, and got my title. Took an unnecessary extra 8 days.

Moral of the story, pay for the bike, get the bike and title in hand, shake hands and say goodbye. Waiting for somebody to send/get/mail/payoff or otherwise muddy a clean deal usually causes a lot of unnecessary trouble and pissed off people.

Quick Reply: Am I screwed?