General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm sick and tired....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airhawk money back guarantees you can ride for multiple hours pain free.
They use an air filled bladder that suspends your **** over a cushion of air.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by philo111
I have a metric V-Twin and ready for a Harley, but.....I'm sick and tried of my back and *** hurting after riding 1 hour. I know 60 years old is no spring chicken but which model and set up will I be able to ride for 3-4 hours without being beat to ****?
What model Metric are you riding now that hurts your back? Is it the seat or bars that Pains you? Just because you get a Harley does not mean it is going to be comfortable right off the floor. Usually a seat change and bars have to be done to suit the individual.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,344 Likes on 3,188 Posts

Are you 60 years old or 60 years young? I'm 57, with a 94 slammed softail. I work in construction (self employed electrical contractor). And not the fittest horse in the barn. It's all what feels right to you. Rent some different models and see. Welcome and good luck.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Jrod66002
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
If you are 60 and want to ride for hours at a time there is only one way to go. Electraglide aka GEEZERGLIDE! lol The Cadillac of Harley.

If you're half that age and wanna ride hours at a time go for the Electra glide lol. Trust me! Fit my 31yo *** well. Heaven on 2 wheels after years of beating myself around on my chopped up metric. But it has to be set up properly for YOUR comfort. I'm an ape hanger guy. My back and shoulders love em. Stock bars on my EG are a lil low for me. I think some taller bars will make my back as happy as my backside is on this bike. But the difference is unreal. I went 450 miles Sunday and felt better than I would after 45 miles on my other bike. Just my .02

Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd definetly recommend a touring model but there is no substitute for a demo ride at least, if not a day long rental on models that fit you on the showroom floor. As stated previously a seat change is sometimes neccesary but there are those who are comfortable on the stock units. If you are confident with a salesman at your HD dealer of choice and he will work with you in the "fit shop" area you should be able to get pretty close to a ride that you will be comfortable on. Good luck and enjoy your HD experience.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by philo111
...I'm sick and tried of my back and *** hurting after riding 1 hour. I know 60 years old is no spring chicken but which model and set up will I be able to ride for 3-4 hours without being beat to ****?...
When you get to be my age (68) hopefully you will have learned not to act like a teenager. Seriously, stop and smell the roses. I stop frequently to stretch my legs, rest my butt, sip water, check bike, ... smell the roses. Forget ordeals. Make it a pleasure, not a marathon.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I'm 65, have a sportster. The seat and rear suspension are aftermarket; none of the stock seats feel good to me, not even on the big irons. Figure $300-500 for a seat you can live on, and get bars that that you can rest your hands on comfortably for hours (that lets out most of the stock ones for me) and it makes a big difference. Bad thing about Harley, lot of folks (me included) don't like their stock seats, good thing is, lot's of companies capitalizing on that and making more aftermarket parts for Harley's than any other bike brand. If I rode 3-4 hours often, I'd want to get a bigger Harley. Who am I kidding, I want a bigger Harley anyway.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They key to easy on the *** touring isn't so much the model as much as the aftermarket seat, Mustang has some big *** love seats you can strap to a bike. Check them out.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

It's all about the seat man, and a good backrest helps a lot too.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Last August I put 1K on my 10 Ultra in 22.5 hours without any adverse effect. I'm 71 so that should be some indication of a Harley touring bike's comfort level.

Every year I do a number of 10 to 12 hour days with 8 to 9 hundred miles traveled.

Now the disclaimer: Your experience could be different.

Quick Reply: I'm sick and tired....