General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012 | 09:41 AM
phxsunbum
|
Intermediate
Default Softail vs Road King

It's time to dump my 2000 Sportster and move up to a model suitable for longer distance travel (500 - 600 miles or more).

I've test ridden the the Road King and find it to meet my needs nicely, however someone suggested I check out the Softail.

I'd appreciate your feedback on how the two compare for long distance travel and overall usability, as well as anything else you'd like to share.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:05 AM
kamut
Tourer

You should definitely ride the Softails as well to compare. Road King as a "touring" bike is going to tour better for most people than any Softail. There are exceptions to every rule.

A lot of people say the RK is the most versatile Harley. I like it, but I'm biased.

I think the Softails offer more form than function, whereas the Road King is excellent on form and function-IMO.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:11 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

The Road King is a touring model and will probably be better for touring. Besides, it depends on which softail you're looking at; a black line probably won't be as good of a long distance ride as a heritage with bags and shield.

That being said, I have a Deuce with no windshield that I could easily do 500 miles on. It depends on what type of rider you are, how high a tolerance to discomfort (or whether or not certain things even cause discomfort) you have, and what do you want the bike to do.

I've ridden a Road Kind and it was big and heavy and didn't have as great a lean angle as my deuce before the boards started scraping.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:19 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

My old Deluxe was great for 700 mile days with a shield. I liked the seating position better than the RK, and it was about 100 pounds lighter which makes a big difference to some people. Easier to manage around town too. Worth checking if you are not completely convinced on the RK.

You should try a Dyna Switchback too. Great set up. Has bags and shield, and you get to avoid the "B" motor's counterbalancer which I find lacking in personality.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:21 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

RK all the way.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:35 AM
Amish gone bad
Tourer

Have had both one time or another. The soft-tail ended up basically like a larger Sportster to me (300 miles or less) but I'm fat and have short legs. I've got a buddy around 180 and normal dimensions who can follow my Road King all week over multiple regions and be just as happy at the end as I am. Try them both -- your body will let you know.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:44 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Given the choice:

Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King

...although, the Switchback might be an option.

Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King ineedtogoandliedown

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:56 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

I have a 2000 Road King and an 07' softail and one of them is for sale. Can you guess which one? I will give you a hint...It isn't the Road King. Road King is in a completely different league for long trips. RKFFRK.

Old 04-04-2012 | 11:00 AM
slughill
Road Captain

I had a 2005 heritage classic, loved it. Put tour-pak on it and it was great on short trips two up. Great bike around town. Moved up to a 2011 Ultra Classic because of the longer trips we're taking. Wouldn't go back.

Old 04-04-2012 | 11:17 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default It Was A Toss-up!

Last time around it was a toss-up between the Heritage and Road King. Even though the Heritage fit me like a glove I bought the King knowing that the bars and seat would need to be changed. The RK has been everything and more than I expected! Any bike can be made to fit you, only a few will excel in the long distance ride. JMHO - go with the King. You won't be sorry!!

Quick Reply: Softail vs Road King