General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012 | 04:57 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadking Cal
Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers....
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgers
Christ almighty...

Old 04-05-2012 | 09:16 AM
Jethroe
5th Gear

The RK is the winner for long rides.
For around town driving with stop and go traffic, tighter maneuvering, etc., you could go either way. On the other hand, I don't think I have ever seen a motor cop on a softail.

Old 04-05-2012 | 10:16 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain

When I decided to get back into riding after being away from it for a very long time, I really wanted an Indian. However, the company seemed to be in a precarious situation and had not yet been acquired by Polaris. The price of the Indian was also ridiculously high. Indian made Harleys seem "cheap" in comparison.

I decided the Heritage was the closest HD to the Indian's styling and it also fit me perfectly. However, I just couldn't get past the fact that you get so much more bike for the money with a Road King. I ended up buying the Road King Classic to get the old-school looks and in 2011 you got the 103 engine, the security package with ABS and cruise control standard. I have no regrets going with the Road King.

For what you get, the Heritage really should be priced less than $15,000.

Old 04-05-2012 | 10:20 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
Given the choice:

Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King

...although, the Switchback might be an option.

Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King ineedtogoandliedown
+1 What he said....unless you get a good deal on a Street Glide which is one step cooler than a RK. Don't forget to take a Triumph Thunderbird for a ride too.

Old 04-05-2012 | 11:04 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
+1 What he said....unless you get a good deal on a Street Glide which is one step cooler than a RK. Don't forget to take a Triumph Thunderbird for a ride too.

"one step cooler..." What?? Are you kidding me?

So by that logic, an Ultra is another step cooler than a SG?

Bah!

(j/k! Love my King, but I've seen some beautiful SGs that I'd trade her for!)

Old 04-05-2012 | 12:25 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

My journey 98 Sporster, 2000 Heritage. Difference between the 2 is night and day, the heritage is several steps up. Fell on tough times in 2003 and sold the bike, worst mistake of my life. 2007 bought the new and improved Sporster classic, 2008 traded for another Heritage since I loved the first one so much. Made the mistake of test driving a RKC, so the 2011 RKC is in the garage and IMHO it is several steps above the Heritage (and I truly loved both of those that I owned)

The RKC is the end of the line for me as it fits like a dream (after seat, handlebar and windshield mods), looks classy and handles like a much smaller bike.

Old 04-05-2012 | 01:00 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior

I had a 2001 Heritage Softail Classic for about 10 years. Loved the bike and was sad to see it go. Now have a 2012 Road King Classic and I have to say it probably the best bike I have ever owned. It handles great around town and on the highway it just rolls off the miles in grand comfort. I chose the Road King because I'm not into fairings or music on my ride (YMMV) and like the detachable windshield so I can take it off when I choose. Either way you can't go wrong and should make your decision on the type of riding you will do. If I had to choose today between the Heritage and the Road King it would be a tough decision but the Road King would win.

Old 04-05-2012 | 01:04 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

It's called the king for reason.

So much you can do to it to make it good for everything.

Old 04-06-2012 | 09:16 AM
crewser
Intermediate

A Softail is a cruiser you can tour with, a Road King is tourer you can cruise with...Road king is the most versitile, most classic, best value bike Harley makes...

Old 04-06-2012 | 09:28 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

There's no comparison. Road King all the way.

Quick Reply: Softail vs Road King